Respect.

I absolutely hate the concept that some groups of people are entitled to unearned respect. The whole idea of respecting women, respecting your elders etc is just ridiculous to me. Why should you be granted respect for variables you have no control over and you don't have to work for?

"A woman gave birth to you, so you have no right to disrespect one". I don't know who that quote is from but fuck it's stupid. Yes a woman gave birth to me. My mother did. And I respect the hell out of her for everything she's done. But having a vagina isn't enough for me to respect you. The work my mother has done for me is in no way something other women can take benefit from. She did the work, not you. Am I supposed to respect everyone with a vagina? What about all the women that have done terrible things? Like that Casey Anthony chick or whatever her name is. Sure she killed her daughter, but she's a woman so respect her right? Fuck that.

Respect for elders is another ridiculous one. I'm sorry but, being older than me really isn't a great accomplishment. If you've done things in your life that I admire or have done what I deem worthy for my respect, then sure I'll respect you. But not because you're old. How is that something worth respect? You happened to be born before me? You had no control over that. You didn't work for that. Your parents just fucked before mine did. Big deal. I'll congratulate them on it or something. I dunno. Let's use extreme examples again, Charlie Manson was born before me. Many years in fact. He's an elder. Should I respect that batshit insane individual?

I'm tired. But basically what I'm getting at is that people shouldn't feel entitled to respect, on the basis of things they don't control. It was chance that you were born with a vagina or that you were born before me. Respect is earned. I'll give everyone courtesy at first and common decency. But respect is a big thing for me and if it's not earned, it's just not real.
May 25th, 2013 at 03:24pm