Reading your old work

So, I'm in the process of dusting off an old story of mine and taking it off hiatus, and in order to get the feel again for it I re-read what I had written.

Oh god you guys, some of it is so bad xD Plot holes were rampant. But despite the complaints I have against it now, looking back, I'm actually pretty proud of it. I was like fifteen or so, and I feel that it was pretty damn good writing for my age, especially since my high school did not offer any creative writing classes and my English class was really just a big joke. Now that I'm out of my first year of college, I'm able to look over my old work, and though I wouldn't show it to my English professor, I am proud of it because of where I was at the time. I feel that it's worth reviving and I'm putting the time in to fix what was wrong with it before I write new material.

So, have any of you done this lately? Looked through your old stuff and thought at first "UH NO," but then realized that you should be proud of yourself because you've come so far? I feel that this is really important to do, because we all change and grow, and just because we used to be bad at something doesn't mean we are anymore.
May 25th, 2013 at 10:32pm