Road Trip Blog #14 (Everythings Bigger in Texas)

Although I put the title "Everythings Bigger in Texas" the only things that have been bigger are the camp sizes and the sizes of people. I don't mean height either I mean the weight. There have been a few camps that we've gone to where I'm handing out tee shirts and I'm thinking man I wonder what types of restaurants they have around here that they all are as round as Santa Claus.

I'll start from the beginning, we left Arkansas and were supposed to have a rough road trip. It was indeed pretty rough as we drove through the night and stayed at some hotel in northern Texas. We arrived there at 3:30 AM and I think I feel asleep around 4. One of the guys stepped up and said he would take the director to the airport and also wait to pick up the other director so the rest of us could sleep in until checkout time. I think I slept in till around 11 and then my car went and got food because we knew we were going to be on the road for awhile. It turned out that instead of making the long trip in one day we divided it up. We drove I believe four hours to San Antonio and arrived there around 5 in the evening. I didn't know it then but I had friends in the area. I had heard of the Riverwalk and heard that it was a beautiful spot so we decided to go check that out and see the Alamo. Three of us had dinner at a Mexican food place right off the water. We didn't want to stay out all night drinking as there actually a handful of us who are trying to save up the money we are earning. It was while I was down in the Riverwalk that I had texted a friend and she told me she lived in San Antonio! We went back to the hotel, I grabbed my laundry, and then my friends were there to pick me up. We hung out and chatted and they allowed me to do a load of laundry while we caught up. The short story is that I met both of them when I transferred to Barry University. I was there when they first started dating and they actually got married last year. It was great seeing them as I never thought I would happen to make my way to Texas anytime soon but regardless I was there.

We left San Antonio and drove I believe five hours before we had a camp in the southern tip of Texas. Needless to say it was incredibly hot. Fred was smart enough to tell me to bring a towel and I wrapped that sucker around my neck for the two hours before camp started and then took it off around six when we started camp. We met a guy who went by Smiley. He was a really nice guy and when he took us to fill up our coolers we asked him where was a good spot to get tequila because we were so close to Mexico we knew we could get some authentic tequila. I think he got a kick out of us and he gave us a bottle of his own tequila to drink. He also drove us to a liquor store after the camp that he said we could get really good stuff but it wasn't labeled so he could help us out. The liquor store ended up being closed as we didn't finish up until around ten at night but we thanked him for the free bottle and his hospitality since he also fed us. From there we headed northeast to a town near the Gulf of Mexico.

We had a couple camps in the area with all of them being large groups of kids and it was also nice seeing an older group of kids showing up instead of babysitting the younger ones. I actually think I had some of my funner camps in Texas because we had older kids who I could actually goof around with without losing the entire group and they also had some talent and discipline. I also remember going to Tyler, Texas because the town was around 98,000 people but it was a dry town where bars closed at midnight and stores stopped selling adult beverages at ten. I come from a small town that you would assume would be a dry town and we sell beer until two in the morning. It was also interested because Fred and I met two young ladies at a sports bar. They weren't dime pieces by any means but the one girl I was talking to was actually really smart and interesting. We talked about books, schooling, and other random stuff. But I think the part I found most interesting about the two girls was that they both used to be strippers. Yeah, I'm not even joking. It was probably a good thing that we left Tyler or else I could see myself getting into some trouble if we stayed there for awhile. The group of us now have two days off and are in Dallas, Texas. I am not quite sure what I plan on doing while I'm here but I'd like to get some sun by the pool and maybe visit Cowboys Stadium and take a tour but Taylor Swift is having a concert though. She really needs to quit following us around. I'll probably do my usual thing I do in every city and find a used bookstore or two, find a local sports bar, and have a fancy meal somewhere. There's less than two weeks left! It's finally starting to settle in for everyone.
May 26th, 2013 at 01:47am