Need a little help with a Labyrinth (1986 David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly film) fanfiction

I've had an idea for a Labyrinth fan fiction for some time now, but am a little stuck. It's going to involve an OC going into the Labyrinth to attempt to save someone she "accidentally" wished away. One of the things that interested me the most about the film was the different obstacles that Sarah Williams encountered, from the fireys in the forest to the tunnel of hands. Each was so different and surreal, and a little terrifying. I've been trying to come up with some things for my character to go through, but I'm coming up empty. I don't mind using a few of the same characters (the door knockers were great!) but I also want to do some new ones. I'd like this story to feel like a companion to the film, so I would really like some fresh ideas.

After some thinking I remembered that when the film's writer (Terry Jones form Monty Python)would get stuck he would look through the concept artist's (Brian Froud) work and draw inspiration from various sketches. I plan to pick up Froud's book "Goblins of Labyrinth" tomorrow and attempt to do the same. If it doesn't work for me, then I least have a book I've been wanting!

So, I guess what I'm really asking for here is some advice in becoming inspired. I usually listen to music that reminds me of whatever I'm writing, but it just hasn't been working here. So, what inspires you in your work? What makes your brain tick? If you're a fan of the film and are familiar with its universe, I'd be very grateful if we could brainstorm sometime!

Thanks!
May 26th, 2013 at 08:31pm