Road Trip Blog #15 (Sara Nobles)

We are still in Texas! We have been bouncing around Texas for awhile now and we had a few days off while we traveled all the way to Kansas and then back to Texas. In my last blog I mentioned we were in the Dallas/Arlington area and I did end up going and seeing Cowboy Stadium. We tried to see a Rangers game and check out the stadium as well but they were away and the stadium was locked up and not giving tours. We were lucky enough to go see Cowboy Stadium and I got a ton of photos of that place. It is ridiculous! They spent a billion dollars on that place and it definitely looks like it is worth that much. It was a unique experience to say the least. It was kind of funny because there was a group of us who were looking at this stadium with big eyes and jaws dropped and then we had a guy who was extremely hung over with a shades on and couldn't muster a smile without feeling like he was going to throw up.

We have done so many camps that I feel like most of the coaches on tour and extremely fed up and kind of in a "I don't give a fuck" attitude. We had a new camp coordinator that I believe I mentioned in the last blog. I don't really have any major problems with him but it seems like everyone else does. The only thing that really bothered me was the fact that the last two guys who won the instructor of the week award were totally not deserving and the reasons that were given made absolutely no sense at all. I got to the point a month ago that I could really give a crap about the award anymore but it still bothers a few of the guys who never got it and have actually stepped up and helped out.

I will have to admit that I kind of gotten to the point where I was counting down the camps we have left, which by the way is now two. I was trying to do the least amount of work I could do when camps actually started by standing around being a greeter and not going out of my way to have the littlest kids understand drills, because honestly they're just too young to get it. It wasn't until yesterday when my friend sent me a text message that a girl I met named Sara had died recently. It is crazy how much it bothered me and got under my skin. I feel like death follows me around and every time I come home somebody dies but Sara is only a girl I met once in Florida on vacation.

The thing about it was that Sara was only 28. She had stage 4 cancer but I never knew that until after we had said our goodbyes. I was on a pirate ship booze cruise essentially when I met Sara. I was with my two friends and my brother when this happened. We ended up hanging out with her for the rest of the day and night. I remember hanging out on the pirate ship, we went to some club/bar that was full of chicks and then we went to some older karaoke bar to sing a song or two and then we went streaking in the ocean before we all hung out in my hotel room. It was a great night and a lot of fun and looking back on it now it was one of those nights where you just lived life. We didn't really plan anything but kind of went with the flow of everything. My friend ended up having sex with her and that's how he found out she had cancer. She had told him she had to have her ovaries taken out and couldn't get pregnant. He stayed in touch with her and I wish I had because she was a chick that I felt would have real things to say about life and love and struggle. I'm hoping and assuming that the night she spent with us was one she would always remember as we never treated her as a cancer patient or a victim. We just enjoyed each others company and were taking everything in that we possibly could. It made me sad but also made me realize that even though I'm 24 and I'm struggling to find a good job or a job I like, and I have my troubles like everyone else, I am lucky enough to have the time to struggle and opportunity to take chances. It was only last August when I met Sara and from my friends knowledge she was in a coma for six months before she died. Some of her last memories could have been running into the ocean naked laughing as she probably watched my behind jiggling. It just gave me a different perspective and now I'm going to try and enjoy the time I have left with this job and going back to appreciating the little things.
June 2nd, 2013 at 05:04am