Biggest Story Pet Peeves

Recently I read a couple stories on Quizilla that weren't particularly what anyone would call could. It's one of those things where you know it's stupid and bad, but you just can't stop. So, I've decided to write down some of my biggest story pet peeves. :D

1. Rushed events: Now, I know we're all probably guilty of this at one point or another, Heaven knows I was, but mainly what I'm talking about is basically the characters getting together ultra quickly and saying I love you within a day or two. First of all: No. Just no. No one falls in love within a few days of meeting. It doesn't happen it's not realistic! There can be any number of rushed event, but the main one I've noticed is that... Oh and not taking time to fully describe everything, but instead jumping straight into the action!

2. DESCRIBING THROUGH DIALOGUE: This is a major thing that you should not do!!!! An example would be: "Oh, hey, I'm your old best friend. Remember me? I had to moved to California and we lost touch!" If you write any story ever DO NOT DO THIS. You sit your pretty little butt down and write that shit out, not EVER through the dialogue. NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT. Again this has a little to do with realism.

3. Last minute events: This happens a lot in stories of people who are new to writing. An example of this would be: "Oh, I completely forgot that my older sister's wedding is tonight." That just sounds like you had a SEVERE case of writer's block and needed a filler event. This I'm talking about is especially if you've never mentioned a sister and/or a wedding. Nobody COMPLETELY FORGETS events that big! This happens a lot on Quizilla as well.

4. No layout: This is more for Mibba than anywhere else. I've mentioned this before, but if a story has no layout it instantly makes me not want to read it. I don't know what it is about Mibba's default page, but I can't stand it. Maybe, because it's too wide?

5. Bipolar characters: Oh my Gosh. This happens so often! One second a character will be happy, the next crying. It sounds like you're not developing your character well, like you don't know what his/ her attitude toward things.

6. Teenagers living alone/parent NEVER mentioned: If there is anyone under 18 living completely alone that usually isn't very realistic (It depends on the situation), but then they're parents are NEVER even MENTIONED!!!!! There has to be a story as to why their parents are gone all the time. And this is also one of those things that you could make a last minute event, which still isn't right. Some will mention it in the MIDDLE of the story!

These are some of my biggest pet peeves, but I might find enough to make a part 2 eventually. :3
June 4th, 2013 at 03:17am