Intelligence that Breeds Ignorance

One of my pet peeves is people who think too highly of their intelligence that they think they are brighter than everyone and in every way tries to demean everyone else's opinions.

Let's say someone who's an Athiest and who takes time out to bash Christianity and how evolution is what makes sense and that Christianity is wrong. Everyone has their opinions, but you don't have to go around bashing others about their own opinions.

Then there's ones that act like smart asses and get Holier-Than-Thou with everyone. I know a guy at my school who'd get rude with the teachers because he thought he was smarter than them. What?? Just because you're smart, doesn't mean that you can go around acting like your shit don't stink. I'd like to think I'm a pretty bright person, and just because I have my own beliefs doesn't mean you can say I'm not intelligent.

To me, being intelligent also means you have an open-mind to hear other people's opinions and to make your own decisions for yourself. If you're setting your ways about you, you're blocking out any information that doesn't fit into your own box of how everything is supposed to work and that's not fair.

Even if someone has different opinions than you, respect them for having their own opinions. If you don't think they are as bright as you, you don't have to talk down to them. Don't make fun of them by going over their heads and then laughing or getting annoyed when they don't follow you. I know I'm a hypocrite when I say don't get annoyed because I know I do sometimes, but I don't go out of my way to make them sound stupid.
June 6th, 2013 at 10:32pm