When do opinions become harmful opinions?

I was having this discussion with a friend of mine because I've been doing a lot of debating online and on Tumblr and such and I find myself time and time again having to explain to people the difference between opinions and harmful opinions. So I figured I'd post about it on here too, with some examples so people can see the difference.

Opinions:
"As a feminist, I have a lot of problems with female representation in Disney films."
"I don't understand self-harm or suicidal thoughts."
"Because of my religion, I struggle with issues like equal marriage."
"I don't like the idea of getting an abortion."
"I think more guys play video games than girls."

Harmful Opinions:
"If you are a feminst who likes Disney then you should kill yourself."
"If you're suicidal or self-harm then you're selfish and pathetic."
"Equal marriage is disgusting and ruining 'traditional' marriage."
"Abortions are murder and people who get them should be ashamed."
"If you're a girl who plays video games you're clearly an ugly slut."

Every single one of those harmful opinions have been said to me. If you disagree with me on a subject that's fine, I'm happy with that. I've debated with pro-life people and it's bee a calm experience, I've talked to people who dislike Disney/Batman because of feminism and we still follow each other on Tumblr, I've discussed suicide with family members who didn't understand it. I have no problem with debating with people.

What I have a problem with is when people try and debate with me whilst giving me such a hateful, harmful opinion. When I get that kinda stuff in my inbox, I just delete it. And I see other blogs deal with it perfectly, but for me it's basically never gonna happen. I promised myself a long time ago that I will not let damaging people into my personal space and I will always stick with that.

I will debate/discuss until the world ends but if you come in with a harmful opinion then I have no time for you. Sorry not sorry.

Image
June 8th, 2013 at 04:48am