What about virgin shaming?

I don't know if "virgin shaming" would be the correct statement, but I couldn’t' think of another term at this current moment.

I've seen a lot about “slut shaming” recently here, saying how its not cool for people to bash girls for their strong sense of sexuality and their expression of it. That's fine. If you want to go have sex, have at it! No one's stopping you.

But what about when girls and guys are made fun of for being a virgin, having no desire for sex, or practicing abstinence? No one seems to care or notice about those that are looked down upon for practicing abstinence.

Personally, I will straight out say I have no desire for sex. Ever. I don't want to have sex even when I get married. But I probably won't get married. You know why? Because guys want sex, I don't, so I'll be single forever. And if that's how it has to be, fine. I have no problem with it, if that's my own feelings. However, when I express my sexuality(like people encourage), I'm seen as some sort of freak and immediately get “sex is human nature!” “sex is good!”. So...? I'm completely aware of these things, but that doesn't change my mind. Nikki, Han Geng, and Yunho are the only ones allowed in my pants, okay?

Eventually, yes, I may want to have sex if I find the right person, but right now: no. I don't. I feel that:
1) I am not emotionally ready for such a thing.
2) Its the best way to keep from getting pregnant or an STD.
3) I just have no desire for it.
4) I'm not a real believer in premarital sex.

In media, I've also noticed how abstinence has been looked down on. In Malibu County, after June overheard two girls talking how her brother(Cash) was such a dog, she told them he was virgin. Cash was appalled that she had told them because it was the truth, making it seem like such a bad thing to remain a virgin. Turns out the girls that had been speaking about him were virgins as well and Cash ended up(not so willingly) in the Abstinence Club, which his sister and uncle laughed at.

What's wrong with an abstinence club? If people want to practice abstinence, there's nothing wrong with it. I'd join one!

In Nashville, Juliette started dating some dude and was pissed he wouldn't have sex with her until after they married. I was rather proud of the guy because she was hot and famous and even started undressing for him. He held his cool pretty well.

Also, I've heard that virgins are supposed to shy on the topic of sex...That's a stereotype. I'm not shy about it. I talk about it with my friends and people on here, no problem. And I'm a virgin, proudly so. Not all of us are scared of the topic. I'm not against sex in the slightest. Heck, 70% of my characters have sex. Probably 97% of them have sex before they're married. I talk about banging Kpop men all the time. But if Yunho walked up to me and asked me for a night of wonderful, amazing sex, I would deny him. Seriously, I would. I may think about it because, guys, he's perf (and I want to touch his abs!), but I would refuse.

What I'm saying is, you can be proud of your strong sense of sexuality and having sex. Its human and natural. But you shouldn't be ashamed of being a virgin and/or practicing abstinence either. Don't think its a bad thing. I'm not going to be upset if I'm 40 and still a virgin. If other people think I'm weird and strange, cool. I get it all the time. Its your choice, just like choosing to have sex, and don't let anyone pressure you into it if you don't want to.

-Aydios, lovelies.
June 9th, 2013 at 10:28pm