Shhhh

Shhh. Don’t tell them that! Remember when you were younger, you would be reprimanded for spilling yours or other’s secrets? Have you kept that kind of personality with you since then? Have you always been private or secretive? Maybe you weren’t like that when you were younger. Maybe you were always honest, always innocent, and always trusting.

Recently, I’ve been accused of being too secretive. Why, they ask. Every time I put in my trust in someone, they decide that it’s too big to contain in a box, that it’s not worth keeping in the dark, that it is something that needs the sun’s light shed on it. But it’s not just a secret that has betrayed my trust. No. Their faith and responsibility as a friend to me has been betrayed. Judge me. Betray me. Trick me. That’s what they do to people like me. I’m a pushover. Excuse me? I’m not a pushover; I’m private within good reason.

Are you like that too? Do you find reason to be secretive, private, in everything you do? In rare cases, I’ve felt the need to test people and see if their actions were worthy of my trust. Whether it is to pretend to be hurt or ask a small favor, I needed to see who was worth my time, my care. Without me telling those special few who I am, they can see through my mask and know who I am. Not once, have they declared me secretive. They were worth keeping. They were worth my time.

Sometimes, being secretive isn’t staying to myself. It’s to see who can understand and who can penetrate the bubble in which I am trapped. Sure, I am difficult like cutting metal with a knife. But, everything I do is within reason.

So, shhh! Don’t tell those outsiders about you. Be mysterious. Keep them guessing and let the special ones find you. Those are the ones worth keeping. Although you may not be innocent anymore because society made you that way, you always have the choice of protecting yourself.

Do you guys even read this anymore?
June 10th, 2013 at 02:15am