Rape. Opinions?

I'm a Christian. I grew up in the church and even though I've strayed countless times, I still believe in the idea of God, of Jesus, of the Holy Trinity and of Salvation. I might not completely agree with stances my religion takes on some subjects, but the point is, I am still a Christian. Anyway, I follow a Christian blogger on wordpress. She blogs every other day on topics like relationships, living life the Christian way etc etc. The blogs are okay - I follow them because of the scriptures she accompanies them with - but just a few days ago I stumbled upon this blog where she's talking about women, about the way they dress, modesty and finally, guys/rape/sexual harassment.

In short, she was writing how as women, we are responsible for ourselves and the way we dress. She implied that the way women dressed provoked men into harassing/attacking/raping them and that therefore, for the sake of modesty, of our safety and of our faith, we needed to dress right.

I cannot even.

Seriously guys. First and foremost rape is not about sex. It's about power, and domination and control. Second of all, if rapists' or future rapists' feelings were determined by what their victims wore then how would you explain the rape of a nine month old child? Was she being immodest in her nappy and overall? Was her mother tempting the rapist by dressing her that way?

And more to it what is with this idea that guys are mindless sex beasts that women are to 'watch out for' by wearing the right clothes, etc? Why, why would you even use that as an argument? Does this not undermine the man's ability to think and act as an independant human being? Does this mean that all males are incapable of conscious thought and action and are therefore controlled only by what their eyes see?

Whatever happened to free will? To the ability to choose? Or did that get thrown out the window to make way for a leeway where abusive, emasculated men wouldn't have to take responsibility for their actions?

When people teach about the rape culture under the guise of Christianity, I am forced to re-evaluate what I've learned as a human, from my family and parents and what my religion teaches me. It pisses me off and makes me question so many other things about my faith and how willing I even should be listening to people who preach under the religion's banner.

Yech. Opinions?
June 12th, 2013 at 12:24am