Originality is dead...

During my daily philosophical debates with my fellow comrades, one of them suggested that nothing is original and that with so many people living and having lived the concept that an idea or thought is totally unique is laughable. I know that this is not an original thing to say, many have put forward that exact idea. In the same way i understand that my answer and opinion against it will be completely unoriginal and will probably be shared with millions (if not billions of people).

I have a hard time dealing with concept however. I feel that there is just too much the human mind can do and there is just such a variety of genetic makeups, backgrounds and lifestyles that surely originality must exist out there in some way. It may only exist in the complex ideas or the opinions of a killer that every man with a third nipple should be killed, but that still means that originality exists.

The problem with this i feel lies in the fact that the more you think about it the more you think that someone else is thinking about it in the exact same way. Then you think that if someone out there is thinking the exact same way in relation to this question have i ever had an original thought? This scares me...a lot. That might explain my opinion.

My opinion is that a person is only made up by his opinions and thoughts and experiences and to think that that is just a copy of someone else makes me feel that my existence is worthless and thus has nothing further to offer. I can only think of two ways this can be resolved:
1. We consider not thoughts as originality, but actions. This is how things are seen today really, in particular youtube videos. "Oh you're playing such a game and making jokey commentary. *Insert Youtuber* already did that. Why are you trying to be him/her. OMG you're so unoriginal!" This person could have never seen the other person and that's the flaw but i guess this is the only thing that really works.
2. It is not the thought but the ways in which you arrived at it that makes your thoughts original. Yes this means some thoughts, well a lot of thoughts will be unoriginal and we're back to our original problem and...and....

Well i have no idea! But i have to believe that deep down some of my thoughts are my own. I tell this here because as story writers, bloggers and poets, you must have felt at one time or another that your plot, idea, inspiration or even the next sentence you type has been thought up or written by someone else.

I'm T0M and this is a psychopaths daydream.

p.s. Before anyone says if nothing original nothing would be invented refer to point one. Many people could have had the idea for that invention and just not managed to put it into practice due to things like funds.
June 13th, 2013 at 01:53am