Let's stop posting hateful comments

Okay, so all of us who have ever gotten a comment on anything you’ve written, sometimes they can make your whole day. I know when I get emails telling me I have a new comment on a story, it’s like Christmas or something for me and each comment is like a new present. I know I don’t say it enough, but when you guys comment on my stories I basically am just like

Image
Image


Yeah. But then you log on and see you have a new comment and you go to your story and it’s rude. Maybe it’s just not very well put constructive criticism, maybe it’s just somebody telling you that some part of your story is crap, but no matter what it is, it leaves the author going

Image


What did I do to you? What have I ever done to deserve this kind of hate? It’s mean comments like that that make people want to stop writing. And this isn’t just me here, I’ve seen some freaking hateful comments on stories (mostly on the other sites like Percy Jackson Fanfiction or Hockey Fanfiction) and it just leaves me wondering, why? Why would someone just want to blatantly hurt someone else’s feelings? It’s just freaking rude and makes people super self-conscious about their stories.

Yes, sometimes there will be a part of a story that doesn’t make sense. Maybe the author isn’t a hundred percent on how werewolves work in Supernatural, or doesn’t understand the ins and outs of the legal system, or are still developing their writing skills, or has never experienced what the summertime weather is like in Manhattan. But the thing that’s beautiful about mibba is you can HELP THEM.

If you see something in a story that doesn’t make sense you don’t have to point it out for all the readers to see and laugh at in the comments, you can shoot the author a message and ask them maybe what their thinking was in one part of the story. You can build them up instead of breaking them down. I love mibba because it’s like a big family, so when I see people doing crap like that it hurts me.

And as for people who are having to deal with rude commenters, just do what I do. If they don’t like it, they don’t have to read it. But if it gets really bad, like to the point of bullying, just send a message to one of the admins. They’re always there to help with stuff like that and are some of the nicest people I know.

But seriously mibba, stop it with the rude comments. Someone is putting their work out there for everyone to see and that can be terrifying sometimes, and people being complete jerks doesn’t help. So before you write a nasty comment, just try and think of what drew you to the story in the first place, and maybe talk to the author personally about any problems you might have. There is never an excuse to be hurtful.

oxoxoxox
June 14th, 2013 at 10:09pm