I need help! (Please read this over for me)

Okay, so I'm graduating Saturday and I have to give a speech for being salutatorian of my class, which sucks major ass but can't be helped. Anyway, I finally started working on the speech tonight and I think I'm finished with the first draft. I would love you all forever if you could just take a look at it and let me know what you think!

---

First, I would like to say good morning and thank you to our administrators, teachers, board of education, friends, and family. Thank you for being here today, and thank you for all the work you have undoubtedly put into to be able to sit here on this stage with us.

For the longest time, I didn’t know how to write this speech. If you ask any of my friends or family, they’ll tell you about how I kept putting it off. “I’m thinking about it” was the common answer if asked how the speech was coming along. I kept asking myself, how am I supposed to put four years into one speech? And really, it was more than four years that led up to this point; it was an entire lifetime of hard work that got us here.

I don’t really remember my first day of kindergarten, but I can imagine the excitement I felt to go to school for the first time. When middle school rolled around, I was ready to move on up. Four years ago, I was once again ready to move up. I was excited to start a new chapter of my life. But this time, I also felt nervous, more nervous than I had ever been about school. The high school seemed like a huge, scary place that I could get lost in forever. I didn’t know where any of my classes were or how the teachers were going to be. I didn’t know what the workload would be like and how hard I would have to work in all my classes.

Looking forward, I didn’t know what I was going to get, but now looking back at these past four years I can say they have been filled with the best and worst times of my life. Best friends left, but then best friends came. People changed, some for the worse some for the better. There were tears for everything from sadness and frustration to happiness and elation. The years were filled with new experiences, some which led to better times and some that are only good for the lessons learned from them. I could go on, but the point isn’t that there were good times and bad, the point is that at the end of the day the good outweighed the bad. I wouldn’t change anything about my experience for the world.

Now this is the hard part. The past couple of weeks, whenever I thought about starting this speech, the one thing that consistently came to mind was how diverse and talented our class is. I would just like to thank all of my fellow graduates, even if I didn’t know you other than as a name or a face, for being a part of my high school experience. So, thank you - To my best friends, for being there through it all; To the kids I don’t even know, just for making it here today; To the brains, for all the hard work I know you put in to your education; To the kids who struggled in class, for never giving up; To the athletes, for being as amazing as you all are; To the music and theater kids, for being as crazy talented as they are; To the art kids, for making our school a little brighter; To the kids who have their whole life planned out, because I wish I did too; To kids who don’t know what they want to do, because that’s completely okay.

I am proud to say I was a part of the class of 2013. We have all made it. We’ve made it to the end of the longest task we’ve ever undertaken, and we’ve made it to the beginning of the longest thing we’ll ever have to do. From here on, we start the rest of our lives.

Congratulations to the class of 2013, and good luck in all that you do!

---

I don't really know how I feel about it. The only thing I know is that I'm a terrible public speaker and I'm dreading the moment I have to get up there and say this. ::mrgun:

Anywho, if you read this and leave me some feedback I really appreciate it and love you and you are the best person on the Earth.

If you didn't, you're still an okay person but not as good as the people who helped.
June 17th, 2013 at 04:34am