Please keep Southwestern Colorado in your thoughts and prayers.

I know everyone is aware of the huge, terrible fires burning or have already burned around Denver and Colorado Springs but I haven't heard much about Southwestern Colorado recently and they really need prayers too. Or at least I haven't heard much about if before today and that could have changed. I know there is an AP article about it but that's all I've seen.

Right now there is a 29,000 acre fire burning near in the Wolf Creek area in Southwestern Colorado. This area has a lot of dead trees and the West Fork Fire is burning with awful conditions including high winds and high temperatures. Its extreme activity that makes it essentially impossible for crews to actually fight it. The air assault isn't working and it isn't safe for crews on the ground to fight it. The worst part is the fire is heading for a small town right now.

South Fork is a small town of only around 400 people. The West Fork Fire with its extreme fire activity is heading towards this town and as of this morning this entire town was put on an evacuation notice. Crews are working to save this town but this fire is a terrible fire and its been reported that while most wildfires actively four hours a day this fire has been actively burning for 12 hours a day. This fire is burning a little over a hundred miles away from me and I can see the plume of smoke it is putting up from my front yard.

So please take a minute to say a prayer or at least send good thoughts towards the residents of South Fork and the firefighters working to protect this town.
June 21st, 2013 at 10:34pm