Diligence's "Looper" - Story Review

Hey guys! This is a new thing I started. I've decided to read people's stories and write what I, personally, think about them in blogs. There will be my opinions, some constructive criticism, and other things. The first one ever, is Diligence's Looper. So lets get started!

Image

Okay, when I first clicked on the link and the layout showed up, I really liked the pale colors and the image of the kids who almost seemed to be falling out of the sky, but it also looked like the boy was trying to reach the girl, like she could save him.

What I have to say about the summary is that wow... Diligence really knows how to write them! I'm super touchy about summaries, so if I don't like them, I usually won't read the story. I really liked the intense description of the battered boy and how the feeling of remorse was foreign to the girl. The authority of the seemingly-little girl really made me intrigued and I wanted to find out who she was and how he was outside himself, staring at his own body in search of a new one.

At the beginning of the first chapter, I thought maybe it was the Looper's job to help the dead... be dead. But as I kept reading as realized that it was their job to save their "marks" from dying, I became really interested. I picture the girl as a child, and I'm not sure if that's the intent since the boy is around 17, but the image of a (accidental) rebellious young "Looper"... I really, really like it. The namelessness also intrigues me, keeps the aura of mystery around them and adds to the fact that she's not supposed to be doing these things.

Right now I'm thinking that the girl is older, but just naive since she isn't in our messed up society. I'm not sure of the genre, but I could see this becoming a romance between the boy and girl. I mean, she feels for him and broke the rules in trying to save him. It's obvious she cares more for him than she should. Which ever direction this is taken, it's definitely going to be good.

In chapter two I learned that she isn't a child, like I had first thought. There was a lot of information in chapter two without it being a rambling of it, which I liked, but I'm still a bit confused by how the whole thing works. I thought Marks were interchangeable, like a Looper would go to the closest dying person and save them, but is seems they have specific ones?

I really liked the list of rules at the end. It clarified a lot of things for me and made me wonder what was going to happen to the girl now that she'd broken some of them. What is banishment and why wouldn't she be able to find another mark?

So far, this is a great story. There's description, mystery, questions that need answers, and flawless grammar. If I could give out stars, I'd probably give this one five out of five!

Image

It's a very unique concept and flawlessly written. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants something other than the cliche boy meets girl story.

~~~

Image
June 28th, 2013 at 09:10am