top 10 favourite books: #5 The Woman In Black (Susan Hill)

TOP 5 GUYS! and what better way to start than with a horror classic?
I read this book about 2 years before the film was released, and i must tell you that it is a hell of a lot scarier than the film! (although the film is terrifying, not gonna lie). thing is, I was reading this while sailing a yacht around croatia with my family. And let me tell you, sitting in a cabin alone by a secluded island, at midnight reading this book is goose-pimply. Especially when you hear footsteps on deck and know full well that your parents and brother are in bed.
Anyways, if you havent already read the book or watched the film (which is very similar to the book) then it's about a man called Arthur Kipps, a solicitor, who is sent to the scary Eel Marsh House to attend the funeral of it's elderly inhabitant. He sees a woman, all in black at the funeral, yet no one else notices her. while going through her many piles of paperwork at the house, Arthur begins to notice that he is maybe not the only one in the house, and that there is something else, much more deadly inhabiting it.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone under the age of 12 as it is makes you want to hide in a cupboard for a month, but it is an extraordinary novel! 10/10
July 7th, 2013 at 10:47pm