Is There Such Thing as Too Much Detail?- Opinions Welcome!

I had an interesting conversation last night about the current topic and it made me curious to see what other people - meaning you guys- thought about the subject. I'm sure we have all had this experience where we get this crazy idea and we quickly go forth and put your ideas down on paper or actually get yourself to write it to create a new chapter in a current story or maybe even a new story. This moment actually happened to me in the wee hours of the day yesterday and instead of sleeping on it I immediately grabbed my laptop and got straight to work. I wrote the scenario in my head and although it wasn't very long I felt like it might have been one of my best intros I've ever written because it gave you just enough to grab your attention. As soon as I finished and went over it I shared it with a couple of people including my friends who are also fellow writers, a family member(who doesn't write) and an acquaintance of mine that I know to have a creative mind but in a different field entirely. I showed them the piece and the majority of the feedback I got was good except for one that stood out to me. Now I don't want to sound like all I want to hear is good feedback, no I accept any feedback whether it be good or bad because I know I still need to progress with my writing. Anyways the certain comment that I received from this person was that I "emphasized too much on little detail". To this I responded that I had to and I still hold on to my opinion. I always felt as a writer that the detail even the smallest is what builds the story. I know when I'm the reader I always love reading something and being able to picture it like if I'm there and get that full enjoyment of the story. Nobody wants to read something that's point blank in saying for example- they met, they fell in love, the end- NO! that's boring. You want to know the feelings of the character being portrayed and what's going on in the story and stuff like that. I don't know that's just my opinion but I would love to hear what you guys think about this topic! :)
July 10th, 2013 at 11:57pm