Cory Monteith and my list of top 20-ish favorite movies of all time.

Image

I wrote most of this a couple of days ago, but then fell asleep and never posted it. Also, real quickly I wanted to talk about Cory Monteith, and pay some sort of tribute to him. I found out yesterday morning and was literally shocked into silence, I’m never silent. It’s heartbreaking that such a talented young actor passed away, and that he was so troubled and going through so much that he had to turn to drugs. I wish he could have gotten the help he needed before it was too late. Now of course, they aren’t certain it was drug related, but it seems likely and regardless, he seemed to be having a tough time lately. My heart, my thoughts, and my prayers go out to his friends, his family, to Leah and to himself. I hope with all my heart he’s in a better place now and he’s happy because I’m sure he is; he seemed like an authentically nice person. I’ve literally been staring off into space and crying all day because I feel like there was a death in the family. I know I didn’t know him and that probably seems dramatic, but that’s how it feels.

I’m not a huge fan of Avenged Sevenfold, but I finally really can understand what the fandom must have went through when they lost the Rev. Losing someone so young is always tragic, always sad, and always hard for everyone involved. The closest thing I’ve been through to this is Kurt Cobain, but I wasn’t alive when he died, it wasn’t until later that I felt the loss of his future and all the great things he could’ve done. Same with Heath Ledger, though I was alive I just wasn’t a huge fan at the time of his death. Oh and I guess Patrick Swayze, but it feels different this time for some reason.

But I digress, I just felt the need to pay some kind of homage to him because everytime I see Glee or Leah Michelle at an awards show, he’s all I will think about. I just hope he didn’t feel much or any pain when he died, and that it happened in his sleep, and now he’s found a kind of peace he wasn’t feeling on earth. He really was such a kind and gentle soul, and there’s so much more I want to say but this has gone on way to long. RIP Cory Monteith.

Image
Image
Image

It's 5:18 in the morning and I can't sleep. So I think, you know what, "I'm gonna make a top tentwenty list! I'm gonna make a top ten list!" (said in giddy sing-song voice xD) Now let's see if I can narrow this down to tentwenty because I'm a bit of a movie enthusiast and just know that later I'll be sitting somewhere (probably my bed doing nothing) and think, "Damn, I forgot [insert movie here]!" But I'm going to take that risk because you only live once, yeah, that's the motto YOLO! Let's just pretend this never happened. Also I apologize for the lack of movies made after the year 2000. It just so happens all the movies I like enough to rewatch time and time again were mostly made in the 80's, with a few which were made in the 90's. Sorry. Also, Mean Girls, Stand by Me, the Lost Boys, Girl Interrupted, and My Cousin Vinny are a few which didn't quite make the list but hold a special place in my heart.

Note: These go in order... sort of... yeah, we'll see.

20. Private Resort/The Karate Kid movies I'm already cheating, sorry mom and dad. I just went to make the list and when I was finished thought of these other movies, some needed to be doubled up on. I have no regrets.

Image
Image
Image

Okay, so this movie is equal parts terrible and delightful. It's very typically 80's and probably all the worst parts of movies from the 80's but that's what I love about it. (And that baby Johnny Depp and Rob Morrow are in it) It's one of those movies where it's literally a series of unfortunate of events and the main characters just continue to get themselves into horrible situations, but by the end everything works out. Also, it's genuinely laugh out loud hilarious, it's just a very feel good movie, okay? If that wasn't enough, Johnny Depp shows his butt in it.

Image
Image
Image

I think we all would benefit from taking a second to look at that kids face. Seriously guys, Ralph Macchio is fucking adorable. Like in the way where I know he's old enough to be my father but I still manage to feel like I'm going to get arrested for looking at him the way I do. So, Johnny Cade Daniel Larusso learns karate under Mr. Miyagi and he beats the baddies every time, because he's a smart ass with a heart of gold. But god dammit don't fall in love with him because you will be written off in the next movie to make room for another love interest. True story. Also, I refuse to admit that that movie with Hilary Swank or the one with that Smith kid, even exist. (But seriously why couldn't Larusso have been the kid in the one's Mr. Miyagi? Why Jackie Chan, why? At least then I would have watched it.)

19. Grease 2 and Grease

Image
Image
Image

Now, please don't just assume I have terrible taste in movies and stop reading before you hear me out. I know that Grease 2 is technically speaking a pretty bad movie (though by technical standards Grease 1 is pretty bad too) and I know the first one is better. But there is just something so damn great about this movie. The songs are catchy, the boys are hot, and let's do it for our country is a thing... that happened.... It's just a really lovable movie and honestly I could watch it over and over again. I'm not even going to get into the fact that in some ways I think it's better than the original, unpopular opinions.

Image
Image
Image

All I need to say about this, is that it's grease lightening. I love this movie so much and I love how even though it's kind of very bad you can show it to anybody and they will end up loving it. Or at least from my experience. Also, I didn't know the broadway musical came out first until two seconds ago when I was watching the trailer.

Image

18. Total Eclipse

Image
Image
Image

Now this is arguably the first movie here that I think it genuinely a good movie. This is the movie that sparked my fascination with the poet Arthur Rimbaud, the man who helped me get an A in my English course last semester with the paper I wrote on his life. Leonardo DiCaprio is an incredible actor, seriously probably in my opinion one of the most talented actors of our time. (Though there's one other on this list that I think is definite competition for that title.) It's about the poets affair with another poet, Paul Verlaine and it's the story of their relationship and his life from the point they meet on. It's just very well done and something you don't see all the time and I couldn't recommend it more. If you're a Leo fan, watch it. I swear when that boy cries it rips my heart of my chest.

17. Less Than Zero

Image
Image
Image
And so that you can be terrified just as I was terrified...
Image
I'm sorry, please forgive me.

This movie couldn't have been bad if it tried. First of all, it's based on a novel by the lovely Bret Easten Ellis. Sometimes I wish my life was like a Bret Easten Ellis novel, and then I realize I don't want my life to be like a Bret Easten Ellis novel.... ever. Also, it stars Andrew Mccarthy, Robert Downey Jr., James Spader, and that chick who's been in like a bajillion good movies from the 80's. This movie has to do with drugs, which I generally don't like in a movie, but it's so good. I don't even know what else to say. Except the ending is sad. Very very sad. There are no cute baby puppies, is all I'm saying.

16. The Basketball Diaries

Image
Image
Image

I just got done saying how I don't really like drug movies and then I put down this one. Because I don't know what I'm saying half the time and I like to contradict myself. That's why. This is a fabulous movie, Leo is fabulous in this. Seriously it's literally probably one of his best performances next to What's Eating Gilbert Grape, which isn't on this list but probably on my top 40 list. I just don't understand how people don't realize what a talent he is. Plus, I love the book and Jim Carrol so this was bound to be a good one for me. It's just so touching and heartbreaking and ugh, the feelings.

15. the Pickup Artist/A Walk to Remember

Image
Image
Image

These next two I put together because they're two of my all time favorite typical romance movies. Just... all the feels. Robert Downey Jr. and Molly Ringwald have so much freaking chemistry, they really do. Which is ironic because Robert Downey Jr. almost played Blane in Pretty in Pink with Molly Ringwald.
Image

No, but seriously. This movie just makes me a happy person. And it's actually one of my newer finds because I think I watched it over winter break this year, for the first time. It's such a good cute, light, romantic movie. And I want a Jack Jericho in my life, even if he was a player at first.

Image
Image
Image

This seriously could've been higher on the list except that I totally forgot about it until after I wrote out the list and decided to put it at number 15 because it fit with the first one. This was probably my favorite movie growing up, honestly I think it blows The Notebook out of the water. It's about a kind of nerdy girl named Jamie who's dying of cancer and falls in love with a popular boy named Landon(by the way, I love that name and have plans to name my first born so it) who doesn't know she is dying of cancer. And it's all forbidden and romantic and the soundtrack is amazing, and I barely even comment on soundtracks but I really love this one. It's just probably one of the greatest romance movies of ever.

14. White Palace/Secretary

[img]http://thesofacinephile.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/tumblr_lk88ygfnsv1qgfs35.jpg?w=640[/img]
Image
Image

This is the last one that I doubled up on, I swear. So yes, James Spader is the man I was referring to earlier when I said only one other man rivals Leonardo DiCaprio of the most talented man of the last few decades. He's without a doubt my favorite actor, and you will see him a few more times on this list, so get used to his beautiful face. Also, I swear he sometimes looks almost identical to Jensen Ackles. But anway, White Palace is just such a cute romance movie. I love Spader's character and I love Sarandon's character and I love them together. And she looks like my grandmother so it's a little unsettling. But the sex scene in this guys... just... yes. Also, surprisingly the two have a lot of chemistry. Great movie.

Image
Image
Image

This movie is basically soft core porn, but I wouldn't want it any other way. It's sexy and James Spader as a dom is just... so many fantasy's.... so many. Blows Christian Grey out of the water, as it should because those books are very bad. Thank you James Spader, first you make any boyfriend I have fail in comparison to you and now every job I get I'm gonna hope I have a sexy boss who decides he wants to make me his sub, so now you ruined jobs for me as well. Not cool. But seriously, check it out, it's a great movie. And has a surprisingly good message for a film about BDSM.

13. Rumble Fish

Image
Image
Image

The Motorcycle boy reigns. I always thought he was pretty much the smartest character ever. He pretty much represents Jesus, so can we just count him as Jesus? Sacrilegious Kayla is sacrilegious. No, but seriously. I love this movie and the book, because S.E. Hinton is my second favorite author next to Anne Rice. This movie was filmed in film noir, and it's kind of beautiful and sad, like all the best things are. There are just so many choices that the director made in this film that I love. I think Coppola was the director, right? Whatever, the film is genius. Not to mention that I have a soft spot for Mickey Rourke and Matt Dillion. Poor Kevin Dillion... the less attractive Dillion brother. He'll just never be as attractive as his older brother... kind of like Chad Lowe, but I digress.

12. A Clockwork Orange

Image
Image
Image

This movie (and the book) is fucked up on many levels and kind of horrifying, but I love every minute of it. I still remember when I asked my mom to but it for me, and she did, and then she decided to watch it with her boyfriend and went on about how I "tricked her into buying." Lolz. This is just such an interesting movie, and I love the language, even if that was created by Anthony Burgess and not Stanley Kubrick. It's just a classic and Malcolm MacDowell is excellent in it.

11. The Outsiders

Image
Image
Image

I know this isn't technically a very good movie. But I fucking love it and I'm not ashamed. It's probably because the book is my favorite book ever and I love absolutely all of the actors in it. It's just pretty much the book on screen and it makes me happy so that's why I put it here. Lay off me I'm tired xD I honestly don’t know what else to say for this.

10. Fight Club

Image
Image
Image

Have I ever talked about my love for Ed Norton? No? I know I’ve mentioned how I love Brad Pitt before, because I do but I just recently became obsessed with this fabulous actor after a movie I’ll be mentioning a bit higher on the list. I’ve loved Fight Club for a while now though, it’s just so witty and I love movies that are shot in an interesting way, which this was. I also love the story and Helena Botem(sp?) Carter. I haven’t read the book yet, but seriously if you want a good, modern classic type of movie, do yourself a favor and watch Fight Club. Just don’t talk about it, or Brad Pitt will come and get you… On the second thought, Fight Club, Fight Club, Fight Club, Fight Club…. What? Can’t blame a girl for trying.

9. Rent

Image
Image
Image

Gah. This movie’s heartbreaking, ground breaking, and touching. It touched me… (insert inappropriate/offensive joke here.) I’m a musical girl, I love musicals and this has to be one of, if not, my favorite musicals. My father, who directs plays doesn’t agree, but what does he know? He likes old people plays… though the Sound of Music is fantastic, but I digress. Every song in this is perf, and has me not wanting it to end. Most of the lines are quoteable and thought provoking and beautiful. The message is clear and fantastic. Idina Menzel and Adam Pascal star in it, and they’re great, plus all the other actors are fantastic. And Angel… :( Nuff said.

8. The Titanic

Image
Image
Image

Now, I know there are a lot of differing opinions among movie buffs about whether or not this is a good movie. I consider myself to be a movie buff, but could honestly give less of a shit what others think of movies I enjoy. I personally could watch this movie on repeat, and probably have. It’s such a great love story, I know some people find it disrespectful to the dead or some shit, but it’s not and this movie is great in my opinion. James Cameron worked so hard on this masterpiece, as did Leo and Kate Winslet, and everybody else in the film, and it showed. Even if I do occasionally crack jokes about Leo’s plan to pretend to die and sink in order to get away from Rose, because it was just a one night stand and she got a little too attached. Love you Rose, even if you could have made room on the damn piece of wood. Myth Busters debunked that shit, look it up. Plus… My Heart Will Go On is a fucking beautiful (and addictive song). Oh to live in 97’ again, when it played everywhere you went.
Image

7. American History X

Image
Image
Image

I just watched this Friday and already it’s at number seven. I love this movie the way that Tom Cruise loves that woman.
Image

It’s moving and thought provoking, and Ed Norton and Edward Furlong are incredibly talented. Seriously, Ed Norton knows how to pick movies. I’ve been on a Norton movie watching kick since I watched this one, because he has the tendency to choose smart and powerful movies. If this movie doesn’t represent the theme expressed in The Outsiders, of things are rough all over, I don’t know what does. It shows how people in your family who you are exposed to on a daily bases or simply people you respect, can have such a profound effect on the way you think, whether that be good or bad. It was also shot phenomenally and makes you question the way you yourself think about things. Only truly great movies have that power.

6. Benny and Joon

Image
Image
Image

Hands down my favorite Johnny Depp movie, and so underrated too. Whenever I’m sad or feeling down, I put this movie in and it cheers me up. It’s such a feel good movie and sometimes you just really need that. Plus it reminds me of the summer, because I watched it for the first time at my dad’s old apartment (the one I loved and miss deeply) in the summer and it takes me back to that time and how I fell in love with it instantly. It also has a cute romance and I love all the other actors in it as well, I really recommend checking it out because it comes in handy sometimes.

5.

Image
Image

This is another classic movie, and a controversial one, which I adore. It’s one of Mr. Spaders best performances and I noticed something new every time I watch it and I love the characters in their own right, even if I hate them. I’m not sure that makes sense. Every choice in this movie the director and the actors made were great, I love the storyline, and it’s just a great movie. One day I hope to write a psych paper on this movie. Also, if you were wondering, my signature is a line spoken by Graham (Spader) in this movie.

4. [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y46Sw1BUHPs]St. Elmos Fire


Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Yeah I went a little crazy on gif’s, I want to put a like every scene/quote in though because…all the life lessons I got from this movie. Like, apparently the meaning of life is Dale Bieberman. Now these next few films are where my love for 80’s classic Brat Pack movies really come in. They are quite literally my weakness, and one of those things and life which simultaneously make me happy and nostalgic for a time period I never actually experienced. Some of my favorite actors are in this movie, like in the Outsiders, and it’s just perf. I feel like the characters are family and I root for them all, even when I want to kick Billy in the face and give him a big long scolding (and have sex with him *shrug*) and slap Kirby and Alec in the face and talk some sense into them. Then hug all the girls and apologize on the behalf of men everywhere. Kevin is flawless and I swear he’s my spirit animal, he’s so cynical and lovely and the way he loves Leslie literally makes me want to marry him. He’s probably my dream man… plus he’s played by Andrew McCarthy… soo… Though I think James Spader should have been in this… I wonder if he was offered a role. Wow, I’m ranting. I just love this movie. I actually have a goal of writing a fanfiction for all the characters with OC’s and then each pairing I like before I die. And then an original sort of based on it. I should start working on that. Also this is making my college experience infinitely disappointing, I want friends like the ones in this movie so bad!

3. Pretty in Pink

Image
Image
Image
Image

“I love this woman. I love this woman and….. I need to tell her.” Just… oh god… so many feels. This movie pisses me off so many times and yet still manages to mean the world to me. Yes, everybody and their mother knows Andie should have ended up with Duckie, but at least it’s not deluded in the fact that obviously the girls gonna pick the sexy rich guy over the quirky best friend. Nobody wants to fuck quirky. Though it was originally going to end with her with Duckie… just saying. But the test audience got all pissy and they had to refilm the ending. Hence why McCarthy’s hair looks like such utter shit in the finally, he was filming a play where he had to play a man with either cancer or a drug problem… can’t remember… but he had to lose a ton of weight and be bald. As McCarthy said himself (though I paraphrase) if they had known the movie would stand the test of time, they probably would have bought a better wig. Also, this refilm caused the line which has irked me for the last… ever. “You said you couldn’t be with someone who didn’t believe in you. Well, I believed in you. You just didn’t believe in me.” I do all these quotes from the top of my head, I hope you know that. Now listen, she gave you a fucking chance and you said that you had asked somebody else to prom and started ignoring her calls. What was she supposed to do, stalk you? Never listen to James Spader, he’s a pathological liar and Sex, Lies, and Videtape… seriously. Just… ugh… Know who believed in her all along? Duckie, know why? Because he’s not a fucking asshole like some people! Seriously, I get enraged. Also, when Duckie reaches to hold her hand, that isn’t actually his hand, it’s some guy who worked on the film. Also Robert Downey Jr. almost played Blane, which I may have mentioned earlier. And for that entire thing….

Image

I watch extras people so you guys don’t have to xD But seriously, I love this film. It’s fantastic.

2. The Breakfast Club

Image
Image
Image

This could honestly probably tie for number one. This is the most quotable movie ever, next to Mean Girls, and it’s so meaningful and funny and it’s just a John Hughes classic. This probably helped me get through high school, while making me devastated that I wasn’t going to the high school in the eighties when the music and movies were better, the parties crazier, and the guys hotter. I honestly don’t even know what to say for this, it’s just fantastic. And if you haven’t seen it, crawl out of that rock you’re living under, and get on that! Don’t You Forget about me, if quite literally my happy song. I listen to it when I’m sad and every time I’m nervous about something, I swear to god it comes on the radio as if a sign that things will be okay. Which they will guys. If only this were still the 80’s… now I’m sad. Oh and again, great interpretation of that, things are rough all over thing I was talking about earlier.

And number one…. Fucking finally….
Interview with the Vampire

Image
Image
Image

When I decided to make this list the first thing I knew immediately is that this is my favorite movie of all time. It has Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, and young Kirsten Dunst. It’s captivating and just an honest to god good movie. I used to watch this every night before going to sleep, because I’m normal…. It’s just one of those movies which I can remember the first time I watched it every time I do. And it’s the best book to movie adaptation of all times. It’s phenomenal. My little vampire loving heart is made very happy by it’s existence. And I don’t care what anyone says, Tom Cruise is Lestat. He is.

Longest… blog… ever… But I’d love to start a dialogue on this so please comment and tell me if you agree with any of these movies and what your favorite movies are. Thanks for reading if you stuck with me. I tried to stock it full of pictures to make it less painful :) Oh and I was originally going to put Class with Andrew McCarthy and Rob Lowe as number 12 but there was a mishap and I thought I just hadn’t put down a number 12, so just know that that movie would also count as number 12. It’s a great film as are all the other ones on this list.
July 15th, 2013 at 06:20am