Reaching For The Stars...(My Biggest Dream)

My biggest dream is to become a makeup artist. Makeup has been my passion as long as I can remember, almost as long as I have loved writing. In ninth grade was when it started, when I went through the change of being an awkward little wannabe scene kid, to a more girly-girl. I'd spend hours upon hours watching makeup tutorials and reviews on youtube, finding out what products worked best and which ones failed to live up to the reviews they'd gotten in magazines and their commercials. I fell in love with all the colors one could own in lipstick, blush, eyeshadow, lipgloss, and wanted to grow my collection from the black raccoon eyes I had been dawning for the past year.

The real love, of somewhat high-end makeup, started a bit later, maybe around sophomore year, when I got my contacts and was able to experiment more. I'd gone out and bought the Urban Decay Alice In Wonderland pallet and some MAC Cosmetics products and I was in love. Soon, I was getting compliments about my makeup from people, people wanting to know how I figured out how to apply makeup so well when I had just been wearing a lot of eyeliner and mascara the year before. My sisters (one who is a trained cosmetologist) asked me to do their makeup when they were going out to a club to meet Pauly D. My sister Janine, the hairdresser, was actually jealous of me.

My mom, though she loved me wanting to do makeup and loved that I was finally extremely girly, didn't want me to be a makeup artist because she thought it wasn't a good job and didn't approve of me wanting to move to Los Angeles to pursue these dreams. She came up with other solutions but usually every single one ended in me ending up in LA. I'd switched from Music Business and wanting to manage bands, to being a high school psychologist, to doing something in Business. Ultimately, and very recently, I stumbled back on my true love of makeup artistry.

I've found my dream school. One in New York, though there is also one in LA. The New York one is closer though there is definitely a chance of me moving out to LA to further my career. My ultimate goal, besides working fashion shows, films, and maybe a few haunted hayrides on the side, is to open up something I've taken to calling an Aesthetic Studio. It will not only have makeup but also hair and tattooing since part of my beliefs is that tattoos are permanent makeup (and of course you can literally get makeup permanently tattooed on you). I know this will take time and getting my name out in the cosmetology community but I'm completely ready for that. If it makes my dream come true, then it's something I can handle.

"When it comes to beauty whatever makes you look good and feel good is right."
~Francois Nars
July 20th, 2013 at 02:47am