Memories of a Drumming Me.

In 2009, my mom told me I could do anything, as long as what I was doing made me happy. So what did 13-year-old me do? I took up drumming. I remember it as a difficult task, but I wanted it so bad so I kept practicing. Around the middle of the summer, I learned the song Whoa Oh! (Me Vs. Everyone) by Forever the Sickest Kids, which had come out in 2008 on the album Underdog Alma Mater, which my mom's best friend bought for me. The next song I learned was You're Going to Go Far, Kid by the Offspring and after that Walls by All Time Low. I practiced these songs for hours a day and it about drove my mother insane. Drumming for me was a way to get my anger out at my dad for abandoning me as a young child.

In 2010, me and my best friend at the time, Cory, started a band called Blood In The Rain and to be honest, we sucked. It was me on drums, Cory on bass, and my cousin Maverick on guitar and vocals and even though we all knew how to play our instruments, we didn't write any songs even though Cory and I could. We were 13-14 years old, so we just stuck to covering songs. At which time, we added Kids in Love by Mayday Parade to our list. Needless to say, we broke up in June 2011 when Cory moved to Illinois and yeah.

In 2012, I was finishing up my sophomore year of high school when I decided I wanted to start another band. This time it was me on drums and Maverick on keyboards/vocals, but we wouldn't get another member until 2013, when I was in my junior year of high school, when I met Jesse, a girl in Maverick's Algebra 1 class and in my Biology class. She played guitar and she was a screamer, which gives our band a heavier sound. We haven't really done much yet, since we're still working out some stuff with it - like a band name, where we're going to practice, etc. We do, however, write our own songs but we cover a lot of stuff too because hey, we're lazy. I'll write a song and Maverick will put it to music for me.

I've met Rian Dawson and Kyle Burns a couple of times and I've talked to them about drumming and stuff. I especially thanked Kyle, who is the reason I got into drumming in the first place, well inspired me to start drumming. I hope that someday, my band will be playing Warped Tour and selling our arenas and stuff. But you know, a girl can dream, right?
July 20th, 2013 at 10:35pm