My dog is being put down

My dog Sheeba who I've had for 15 years has just taken a trip to the vets with my dad. She's not coming home again, not really.

Sheeba was the gentlest dogs I've ever known. Even when she had just had a litter of puppies, where most mother dogs would get aggressive, Sheeba calmly lay in her kennel with her babies and allowed all the curious neighbors to come in and have a look. Never once has she shown her teeth to anyone, instead opting to try and get belly rubs from any visitors. We nicknamed her 'Nana' after the dog in Peter Pan because she was so kind and we knew that if she was capable of it, she would have looked after us all.

She had a special way of hugging you, walking over when you were sitting down to press her head and rub along your body and stomach before ending up in a heap on your lap for kisses and cuddles. She always knew when you needed cheering up.

She had five beautiful babies, one of whom never made it past her first hour in life. Now, at least, she can join her puppy in heaven. Another puppy is still living with us, Jeremy, so at least we have him to remember Sheeba by.

She gave me 15 years of friendship and for that I will be grateful and never forget her. It's so hard saying goodbye, and knowing that deciding to put her to sleep is the right thing to do. Watching her stumble because she doesn't have the strength to walk is so hard, giving her that last hug before my dad carried her out the door was the hardest thing I've ever done.

Sweet dreams angel, love you always xxx
July 24th, 2013 at 06:54pm