3 Years After Teen Years

In case you can't see it on a panel of some kind, I'm 23. I haven't been a "teenager" for over three years, and to be honest, I feel a little old to be hanging out on Mibba. My 10-year high school reunion will be in a little less than 5 years.

I go through the blogs on here, and while I never comment, all I can think about it is, "God, I wish I could have those problems again." Oh, I'm sure they suck, but it beats being trapped in the rut society created for run-of-the-mill citizens. Graduate high school, go to college, get a good job, get married, have kids, buy a house, work until you're 65, retire and then die. Isn't that exactly what they want us all to do? What do you want to do?

You know what? Throw a monkey wrench into their sick system. Society can define success as much as they like. For women, you should be thin, pretty, the perfect wife, the perfect mother, dressed to kill, great in bed, never complain and be a great cook. For men, you should be hard-working, considerate, a gentleman, ripped, romantic, endlessly attentive to your woman and answer to her every beck and call, rich and smart. Fuck all of that.

This is all getting really ridiculous. We're all being distracted. I hate it when I see my closest friends working to get good jobs. It pisses me off. I know they like to draw, or write or act, and there they are, standing behind a cash register at a gas station. Answering calls for 911. Sitting at home and being a pretty little wife. Stocking shelves at a farm supply store. It's perfectly fine if you do those things while you work toward your real goal, but to just work for money? Work for the weekend? Where is the satisfaction in that? You can't wait for it to fall into your lap; it doesn't work that way.

Does this drive anyone else completely insane or is it just me? Watching passionate people fizzle out and die. I can't take it. Don't allow society's definition of success get in the way of what you really want. You'll never be rich enough, pretty enough or enough of anything "they" want to measure.

I'm done now.

-Anna
July 25th, 2013 at 12:44am