Atonement

I have just finished watching the movie Atonement and for some reason I feel the need to write this journal. The movie Atonement is a movie that is based in England during the time of World War II. I'm not sure how many of you have seen it, so I'm just gonna write a quick summary of what it's about. It's about a young girl, names Briony, witnesses the crime of her cousin being raped. At the time that she witnesses it, she finds out that the man- named Robbie- she had a crush on is in love with her older sister- named Cecilia- and older sister is in love with him as well. However, they can't be together because they come from different social circles. So out of spite, the young girl blames the horrible rape of her cousin on the the man she has a crush on. He is arrested and taken off to jail. Fast forward five years and you find that Robbie has joined the army instead of going to prison for the rest of his life. He is separated from Cecilia, but they write to each other. And when Robbie finally does come home, Briony realizes how much of a mistake that she made in accusing Robbie of the rape when the man who really did rape her cousin was Briony's older brother's best friend, who in turn marries the cousin so that she can never testify against him if the case of her rape was ever reopened. In the movie, Robbie and Cecilia get together and get to be with each other. But at the very end of the movie, Briony is an elderly woman who wrote the whole thing as a book and you find out that it wasn't real. Both Robbie and Cecilia died during the war and they were never able to be with each other, except for one night when they had sex in the library up against the bookcase. So the book and the end that Robbie and Cecilia had in the book was Briony's way of saying sorry to them for causing the both of them to lose who they loved most in life all because of her anger and jealousy.

This movie is a very intense, gripping and emotional movie. When watching it, you definitely have to pay attention or you'll miss something and not have any idea what's going on. I know that I probably sound like a movie critic, or a somewhat of someone criticizing the movie. But I'm not. I'm writing this journal promoting the movie and saying that if you haven't seen it...watch it. It is an amazing movie and should have won the 7 Academy Awards that it was nominated for. IF anyone does decide to watch it, you might want to watch it with the person that you love and care about it. It is definitely a movie to watch with your boyfriend/girlfriend, fiance and/or husband/wife. James McAvoy (Robbie) and Keira Knightley (Cecilia) are incredible actors and when their characters admit their love for one another and when they do make love in the library, it's just...it's like you can connect with Robbie and Cecilia's love for one another if you do have someone that you love very much. I know that I probably sound like a weird, sappy girl and ya know what? I don't care. I have only seen this movie twice and I can tell you that it is probably one of my favorite love stories that I have ever seen. Atonement is definitely a movie to watch with your significant other and if you do, hold them close and watch it. It would probably make the movie much more enjoyable because you know that the person you love is right next to you. However, I wouldn't know if that is true or not because I watched the movie by myself because I don't have a significant other or someone that I really cared about to watch it with.

Anyway, watch this movie and, hopefully, you won't regret it.
July 26th, 2013 at 09:33pm