bing bang boom IDEAS & a taste of the Northwoods

OH MY GOSH I'M SO EXCITED! Haha so today I had a very long car ride to go see my brother at scout camp. It was two hours there AND two hours back. I ended up spending the majority of the trip plotting about this story idea which I've had bouncing around in my head for far too long. The biggest problem was the ending. I am wicked awful at endings. But then, it happened.

BING BANG BOOM

I knew. From there, the ideas just kept coming. I can't wait to start writing it now because I know how to make it happen. I'm pretty much thrilled if you can't tell. So yeah, my fingers are itching to start writing. What helps your creative juices to start flowing? Mine is usually talking....like I said, I'm a big talker haha.

Now the second part of this is the whole "taste of the Northwoods" thing. As I've said, I go to school in northern Wisconsin. I'm on the shores of Lake Superior, about as far north as one can go before running into Canada. (Also, quick fact: even though I'm an American...and female...I have this secret desire to be a Canadian Mountie. I mean, I like being outside... I've been riding horses all my life... I just feel like I'd kick some serious ass. Bring it.)

Now the Northwoods are a crazy place to live. Because I'm on Lake Superior, we have this great thing called the Lake Effect. Yeah, that's sarcasm... pretty much it means that the forecasters predicting weather in Superior/Duluth area have no idea what they're talking about. They say "It's supposed to be sunny!" It's totally likely that it's pouring in my town. Which is all fun and games until winter.

Winter.

F***.

For those of you who are fans of Game of Thrones, I can relate my college town to that of Winterfell.

Winter is coming.

Last year, winter hit in about the first week of November. And it was brutal. Ice, snow, hail, altogether a lot of "WHAT THE ACTUAL F***?!" coming from the mouths of anyone who lives south of there (which is 90% of the student population). And November is NOTHING compared to the rest of winter.

You see, winter is a loose term. Bit more of a "guideline" than an actual "rule" one might say. No one leaves their homes/rooms/res halls from December to about mid-February. If one were to be crazy gutty and leave, you'd find yourself with eyelashes that have literally frosted. I'm not kidding, this has actually happened to me in the two minute walk from one res hall to the other, my hair and eyelashes became white with frost. Woah.

Then March rolls around. "In like a lion, out like a lamb" goes the phrase. Well, it's sort of true. Up north, we see a lot of our worst winter storms during the beginning of March. Towards the third week, though, things start to warm up. Now this is where the unsuspecting person thinks,

"Ah yes, spring time!"

WRONG.

There's about three to four days of spring time. Sometimes one or two days of weird summery weather where everything melts, and the birds are singing, the clouds dissipate, and you remember what happiness feels like. And then the snowpocalypse happens. Winter just goes and shits on your life.

The fourth week of March this year, there actually came a point where it snowed so much in a matter of HOURS that I had to spend the night at my friend's res hall because the doors were snowed in. This bipolar, obnoxious weather literally lasted until the third week of MAY.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!

WE HAD SNOW UNTIL THE THIRD WEEK OF MAY.

And then we got "warm" temperatures... By warm I mean fifties...

So, tell me, what are your thoughts on my winter vs your winter? :)

This is what winter feels like:
this

and this

And this
July 27th, 2013 at 05:52am