I Have This Writing Problem...

So, I have this weird writing problem... and I'm just sitting here wondering if I'm the only one who feels this way. I'm gonna tell you, but you can't laugh. Here it goes.

When I first start a story (like for the very first time where it's just this little idea and no one knows about it) everything goes so well. I can just sit there and write and be happy and it's like I don't have a care in the world. Everything is fantabulous for little Maddi, and really, life just couldn't be better.

But... then I post the story. And then I get my first reader. And first subscriber. And first rec. And first comment. And then I'm just sitting there like HOLY SHIT SOMEONE ACTUALLY JUST READ THAT.

Which, holy crap, is just fantastic, really. Isn't it just awesome that we can display our writing for people around the world? It's fabulous.

But then, well, people read it. They read it and they want more. They really like it; they want more. (High five if you got that reference).

So, you're like, "Okay, they want me to write more. I can do that. Writing the first chapter was a breeze. Here it goes." But dammit it's not easy anymore. You have these people out there who are like looking forward to reading more, and what if they don't like what you write next? What if it doesn't live up to their expectations?

There's just all this pressure and to be honest it makes my mind fuzzy.

I love when other people read my stuff and I freak out when I get any sort of feedback, but at the same time it makes me weirdly nervous for some reason? I don't know. It's just scary, I guess.

Am I alone?
July 31st, 2013 at 03:59am