It Takes Time

“Derrick Rose is not getting up, this does not look too good for the Chicago Bulls," a broadcaster was telling the viewers of the Chicago Bulls and Pacers match up. For a basketball player, or any athlete, the pain Derrick experienced when he went down is nothing that you want to feel, or encounter as you hit hardwood floor. Torn ACL, as the reporters from NBA TV to ESPN reported throughout the night of the injury. Rose's injury instantly hit top news, shocking everyone including myself, a loyal fan, wondering what we will do throughout the rest of the 2012 playoffs. I can only imagine the questions that Derrick Rose asked himself, “When will I return? How long will it be? I hope it’s not serious? Will I play again?” Never have I seen a man fall as awkward as Derrick Rose did. Cringing while holding is knee, his face expressing the pain he was experiencing.

Rose's torn ACL symbolized that a man can get injured at anytime, and risk ending a fanatic career that has just begun. In the NBA injuries come and go but a torn ACL can last forever. Professional basketball players are a major source of entertainment, profits, and funding so it is important that the players return in full health after prominent injuries. Just ask Greg Oden and Yao Ming how their careers were affected by injuries.

Rose has always been known since his high school days to be an amazing, one of a kind athlete, and a fierce competitor. That is why he has been able to perform at a high level during his time at the University of Memphis, come into the NBA and dominate, while redefining the point guard position. Rose's accomplishments speak for themselves. From going to the Final Four with Memphis, being named the 1st round draft pick for the Chicago Bulls, then going on to win NBA most valuable player award in 2011. When thinking of all that Rose has to offer, do we really want to rush him back before he's ready? We are talking about a player who has blazing speed, major bounce, a leader on the court at all times when he is at 100%, and a true game changer. It frustrates me when reporters try to determine when a player will return and the reports turn out to not be true. Even after the doctor cleared Rose, reporters kept assuming that he will return during the 2013 season, a clear assumption that was made by ESPN's Doris Burke post doctor clearance.

The man is young and only has barely played in the NBA (four years) and will be a huge impact when he chooses to come back, after missing the whole 2012-2013 NBA season. Do I blame the Derrick Rose for not returning? No, as a former basketball player who has gone through injuries myself, I understand his position. This is not only a leisure sport for Rose, not just a job, but a career and a legacy that he wants to pursue for a long time. People may not understand his point of view because they are not athletes, they just want to be entertained (Yea I said it). After the lights go out in the stadium and everyone goes home, they forget about the game and busy themselves with their day to day activities. They forget about the sprained ankles, broken bones, strained muscles, and the pain that comes with the efforts of playing the game. That athlete, that carries those injuries home has to LIVE with that beyond their years of playing basketball. Rose has the right to return whenever he wants so that he can play at the high level mentally and physically that we have known for him to have.

“If I could not have the same explosives, would you still come to the games? Will you still cheer for me, even after I missed a whole season?” If I were in Rose's shoes, these are questions that would be ringing in my head. Rose is not thinking about those questions at all, or paying attention to the scrutiny he is receiving by the media. Rose has been reported to say that he doesn't hear any of those things nor does he care about them, when he is ready he will play. Again, the teams doctors have released him to play, but he is still rehabilitating mentally. Most Chicago fans understand, but others (mainly in the social media world) claim he is just scared, and his non-playing is inexcusable. Many say that there have been other players that have returned from the same injury that he obtained, but that does not illustrate their mental condition or if they were even fully healed. I can name other players that received torn ligaments in the NBA and other professional sports like Bill Walton, Willis McGahee, Ricky Williams, Iman Shumpert and they will tell you that it takes time to truly heal from the torn ligament injuries. I know what you are thinking reader, but everyone doesn't heal like Wolverine, oops I mean Adrian Peterson.

Derrick Rose is still a great player and can achieve more if the people give him a chance to return the way he wants to return. Don’t turn your cheek because the player is unable to perform when you want him to. If only the doubters and those that are critical of his actions would understand that some injuries take time and that muscles do not heal themselves instantly. For Rose, to process of rebuilding his ligament will be painful and is going take time. Gaining confidence in this ligament is also going to take time. Gaining a positive mentality that he will be the same Derrick Rose pre-injury, takes time. Cut him some slack, it's not easy filling Jordan's shoes.
August 1st, 2013 at 05:52pm