Is rap going too far?

Is Rap Going Too Far?

In today's society, church has many different connotations. To some people it may mean supreme, a sanctuary, or a place to receive guidance. Nevertheless, there is a question of the true meaning of it in the rap culture. Have they gone too far? Has it tainted the way we view the true meaning of what is written in the Bible?

Kanye West, one of the most gifted rappers of our generation, is rumored to release his anticipated new album Yeezus. In my opinion, West has been and remained relative with his creative out of the box style. Overlooking the fact that he is comparing himself with Jesus, which really doesn't sit well with me, I'm a loyal fan of his music. In my opinion (which aligns with many others in our American Christian society) no one can be God. You can be a king of the “game,” but trying to achieve a level comparable to God is unattainable and a strong contradiction to my beliefs and probably yours as well.

Second, Rick Ross has been pushing the envelope with some of his lyrics, comparing himself yet again to God, but doing the totally opposite of what God prescribes for us to do daily. It seems that the 2013 hybrid rapper/r&b singer is not satisfied until they reach "God like" status. Ross' lyrics such as "God forgives, I don't" is an example of someone stepping out of the box a little too much to display his creativity. Does this give Ross more credibility as a rapper? Believe it or not, certain young people look up to him. His influence may be the only thing that sparks some drive in these young people. Basically, he is providing a skewed perception of what character is needed in life. But is it the right one? Why do I have to be scared to go to church? Just a few questions to think about.
August 1st, 2013 at 06:10pm