How Bad Do You Want It?

Is it worth it? Is it going to pay off at the end? I cannot allow the opposing team to beat me. We both have the same goal in mind, becoming World Champions. I'm sure that both the Miami Heat and the San Antonio Spurs had these thoughts come across their mind during the 2013 NBA playoffs. Now they must battle for the #1 spot. Its Finals time, and no team is guaranteed to be here this time next year. While observing the pre-game interviews not one interviewer or broadcaster knew the true answer to, “Who will win the NBA Finals?” “Who will win the NHL Finals” They ask fans from all over the nation on ESPN, to answer the question, “Who will win it all?” Everyone wants to know the outcome, but we all had to wait. We now know the wait was worth it. It is every teams dream to be in the NBA Finals and they all plan to raise the championship banner inside their arena.

It's Finals time, how many of us can say, “We are ready to display our talents to the public?” I cannot judge the next man to not be ready to compete. It is either “GO HARD, OR GO HOME!” All of the NBA and NHL teams have Mini-camps, Off-season preparations, and attempt to learn from the greatest mentors of basketball and hockey to help them get to this point. Everything is determined by the performance you put in the Final 7 game series. The first team that wins four is the champion. Sounds simple, but there is only one problem. The team across from you wants the same thing and will do just about anything to get it.
In most sports, there is always one leader, Pitcher Justin Verlander for Detroit Tigers, with the first pitch, Chicago Blackhawks Center man Jonathan Toews with the first face-off, and Small Forward Lebron James for Miami Heat with the first shot. Players play with the best of their talents to compete at a high level. It’s scary because it is not often for a team to return back to back for championship. The Nation watched on as we all wondered, “Could the Miami Heat repeat as back to back World Champions?”

Fans say that the NBA and many other sports are ran through politics, with the same teams returning year after year. I mean it is the same team showing up every year, From Miami Heat to the Los Angeles Lakers, and the San Antonio Spurs. Even Michael Jordan was criticized by politics throughout his years as a Chicago Bull, which could have cost him playing in the NBA Finals series. Fortunately, He denied being friends with a republican from North Carolina. He displayed his courage to play throughout the series, by stopping the Phoenix Suns in the NBA Finals.

Are we that blind to think that politics play a role in our beloved sports? It can be, most kids idolize the members of each sports organization. A friend of mine came to me and tells me that the San Antonio Spurs ended up selling out. I told him “How much was on the table and would you take the deal?” Ah, then it got interesting, “Does the power of the all-mighty dollar matter to you or does your legacy matter inside the arena?” You do have multiple banners, would another championship actually help your legacy? That is the meaning of “How bad do you want it?”

Millions are given to players to perform their great talent. Could an extra couple of thousands dollars help me he long run? If you win it all, your bonus could hit over 500K. For the professional sport players reading, this reading is not for how much the finals mean to you, but how much will you take to get more money? I want more than money; I want my legacy to live throughout my life. To know my name will be called into the hall of fame. As Fans, some will believe that politics is played into national sports. I remember watching a documentary about Arnold Rothstein, the gambler from New York who allegedly fixed the 1919 World Series. The eight “Chicago Black Sox” were accused of throwing away the series by accepting money from gamblers. The Chicago White Sox lost to the Cincinnati Reds in the best of 9 games. Chicago were the heavy favorites; the White Sox ended with having to win only 3 games out of 9. It was one of many scandals that had people raise eyebrows. There are tons of reasons for people to be suspicious of players accepting money instead of increasing their legacy.

Give it to a teammate that steps up with a huge shot or great catch at the wall. Those are impact players; they come at the moment that nobody will recognize. Thus being the 2nd favorite player on the team. You can count on him at the end. Think about all the teams that had duel players, for example, Michael Jordan with Scottie Pippen, Lebron James with Dwayne Wade and Kobe Bryant with Shaquille O’neal. Furthermore, these players act as brothers on the court. Both teammates willing to give there best performance every night. It can only end in one result, NBA Champions.

Give your best performance, without any doubt in the talents you possess. Remind yourself that you are not alone. Do not worry about the critics or politicians. You determine the series. This is not just a game, but also a way of life. Never sacrifice for the little, when there is more than gaining the next big dollar. As I say, money will fade when you get off the court, but a championship will give you a name that nobody will ever forget.
Congratulations to 2013 Miami Heat, 2013 Chicago Blackhawks and 2012 San Francisco Giants on winning a consecutive championship.
August 1st, 2013 at 06:20pm