A blog in which I ramble about slut shaming, selective censorship, and more. Read at your own risk.

This will be my first post in ages. I've been meaning to get back here a little, but I've had internet (and other, personal) issues and such so if you've messaged me/commented on a story or anything and I haven't replied to you, I'll get to you eventually once my internet is doing better and I have the time. At the moment I'm on my phone and it's a bitch typing a lot.

But I wanted to address a few things. I want to say first off that I mean no offense by this, but, like you, I'm entitled to my opinion.

I didn't sleep much last night so please attribute any typos or grammatical errors to sleep deprivation.

● Slut shaming has clearly became a popular topic on here because people feel it's wrong to think negatively of what others perceive to be "slutty". As long as they're not being outright rude about it or calling someone a slut then there's no sense in banning the topic. Saying "I think sex out of wedlock isn't right" or "I think sex should be with someone you love" is in no way something that should be restricted.

I've done things some might consider "slutty" but... so? People have opinions and restricting freedom of speech, especially when there are far worse things out there than someone thinking you're a "slut" isn't the solution. Talking about it is far more productive than completely forbidding people from expressing their views, anyway - how else are we supposed to discuss and learn from our peers?

People need to develop a thicker skin - I'm sorry, but it's true. I've been offended on this site more times than I can count, but that doesn't mean that open discussion should be banned.

For instance I've had people on here (granted it's been a while since I've been basically inactive for a while) and other websites liken my personal beliefs to fairy-tales, tell me how "ignorant" I am for believing in God, etc. when my personal faith (not saying religion in general) doesn't affect them anymore than how many people Sally has had sex with affects me or you or anyone else. I used to get bent out of shape about it, but I don't think these people should be banned for stating their opinions.

We're never going to live in a world that's all rainbows and puppies. There will always be people who have different opinions than you (and me) and that will never change.

Also, how is it that, when you're preaching tolerance, you're also trying to tell people to keep their opinions to themselves and basically calling them horrible for having an opinion that's different from yours? Especially when it's already been established that calling someone a slut is against the rules, but having a negative opinion on promiscuity and stating as much is not, so long as it isn't bashing. It's a hypocritical attitude.

I guess I am just not a fan of censorship, especially when it's so selective. And picking out this one thing when people are allowed to state their negative opinions on other subjects, is selective censorship.

● I read a blog earlier where someone was disappointed in their cousin for having sex at 13 and was called out for "slut-shaming". My entire take on this was, okay, I can relate. I have younger cousins whom I'm every protective of and learning that part of their innocence is gone at too young an age would be very upsetting. Not because sex is dirty or anything, but because 13 is a child. You'd be shocked to read about a sexually active 10-year-old, would you not? Those three years see a lot of change, but not that much. Not even close.

At this age, no matter what they've been through, what they've seen, how they grew up, who they had sex with, where/how/why it happened, this is simply too young for sexual activity: physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, etc. You can say you did it that young and don't regret it, but even if that's true, most do because, like marriage and paying bills and having babies, this is something that is for when you've matured a little more.

So no, it's not slut-shaming to say 13 is too young. Or to say "what were you thinking? " to someone who needs a reality check (ie: "you're not ready for any of the responsibilities that come with having sex, you're a child. Stop and think about the possible consequences and you're simply NOT ready to be doing this.")

Then again, I should have been born in the 20s or so, I believe. Kids these days, man.

Anyway, I've gone on too long. If you're going to reply, keep in mind I won't likely respond to all comments because it's tiring to do this on a phone.
August 8th, 2013 at 11:27pm