Poetry

I'm at my college, procrastinating from writing a 5 page essay. Whoopsie. Anyway, in my state of mind, I've gotten to thinking about how difficult it is for me to write moderate to extensive poetry. Everything I write is a struggle to find the words needed to make a poem have a little more depth. Yes, while some will argue that poetry can be short and outstanding, I would have to argue that everything an author writes should not be limited to just one format. At least in my case, I've grown bored of making simple, beautifully short poems. It is piss easy to me. It's even influenced how I look at others' poems on this site. I think to myself, this poem is great, but it's only 5 lines long, and I can write something that easily within a few minutes. Maybe it was a challenge to that person, but I would love to see the author write something longer. So here is what I do. I look at all of their other poetry, thinking, of course they would try to push themselves to test their writing capacity. I am out of luck, along with the poet. They do not have anything posted that is really different from all of their other works.

I have not talked to anyone about this problem I am facing. I know it sounds almost minor, haha, but do any of you readers struggle in a similar fashion? Do you look at works like I do, maybe even your own, and think "this poetry all sounds the same"? Then, in a haste to make a change in what has become common, you can't? It's become a habit to type in a certain style. It's like chewing a pencil. It's like drinking the same old same old thing for breakfast, even when it is your personal favourite; it grows old.

I write horribly if I don't write in my usual old fashion. I can't change what I write about, and while I can change the words around, they still have a similar tone to them. I keep trying to expand my abilities as a writer, yet it is to no avail :(
August 9th, 2013 at 12:47am