Well... I'm Going To Use This Opportunity To Ramble

As per usual, it's late and I can't sleep, so instead I'm just going write on my blog like a retard. To be honest I'd feel more sorry for you than for myself if you're actually reading this, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

I've always wondered what that saying actually means. At one point, I started considering the factor, what if it's sexual innuendo and I say it every other day completely unassumingly because I have no idea that 'whatever floats your boat' could actually possibly be talking about erections or something awkward like that.

I'm writing this story at the moment, a Twilight fanfic (shut the fuck up) and I'm actually really excited about this story. Sometimes I find it hard actually finishing stories and while sometimes luck will be on my side and I'll push through right to the end, I find that not only do I start potentially huge plot twists, I never, ever follow them up because I either forget I even put them there, or follow another sort of route. It's only now that I realise everybody needs an overall plan for their story.

Some people plan everything right down to the time it happens, others write a blurb, the kind you'd find on the back of book and while that works for some people I found that I'm right in the middle of the two extremes. I'll write out a plot as a numbered sequence, which pretty much means I'll make a list of important things that happen, and then between them I'll add the smaller, less structural but just as important side-plots (or whatever it is you actually call them). Doing that means I pretty much have an overall view on the story and effectively connect the dots between things that happen in a story, helping me to weave everything together, making it a story and not a series of events that have no future affect whatsoever.

I get that you probably don't care, and that this particular method probably won't work for you but I know that when I was looking for actual guidance as to what a 'plot' was and how did I make or write one and how does this affect my story I found it really hard to get actual examples of ways to write out a plot. When I finally did find proper explanations of different ways to write a plot I pretty much realised that there are actually different types of plots, e.g there's a sequence plan, which is my numbers, letters and Roman numerals idea, for those of us who are compulsive to write in the form of lists, and there are summary plots, simply summing up the events that happen in your story. I tried to write by chapters, planning each chapter with a rough summary before I went on to write it out, then I tried to write a book report on it, but I got caught up in writing the report that I lost the plot.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I made that pun on purpose or not.

At some point, I realised I simply needed to write out the hard facts and sequences in my story simply as that, nothing less and nothing more, thus, the list. I don't know if this is in any waay useful, or even understandable, so...

In summary, sayings probably have more meaning than we realise, plots are good, if you understood any of this congratulations and while reading this I hope you kept in mind that I'm kind of sleep deprived and probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

Thank you and goodnight.
August 11th, 2013 at 01:22pm