Grammar Lesson From Marge (the Great)

Hey, guys! It's time for English lesson with Marge (the Beautiful)!
Image
OH I LOOK SO PRETTY AND ALL
Image

One of the General Story Rules here in Mibba (the whole list is found here) states that title rules must be followed. There's a lot of title rules and styles but Mibba follows one standard rule in title capitalization: prepositions under five letters and coordinating conjunctions aren't capitalized.

Common prepositions include: in, on, of, off, than, to, from, by and at. But those aren't just the only English prepositions in existence; there's actually 150 prepositions known to man.

Here's a list of 70 common prepositions (including words with five letters and up):
aboard
about
above
across
after
against
along
amid
among
anti
around
as
at
before
behind
below
beneath
beside
besides
between
beyond
but
by
concerning
considering
despite
down
during
except
excepting
excluding
following
for
from
in
inside
into
like
minus
near
of
off
on
onto
opposite
outside
over
past
per
plus
regarding
round
save
since
than
through
to
toward
towards
under
underneath
unlike
until
up
upon
versus
via
with
within
without
(found in this site)

Image
Holy mother of, that's a lot of words.

Moving on to coordinating conjunctions, there's only one acronym that you need to remember: FANBOYS (for, and, nor, but, or, yet and so). These are the conjunctions that are not supposed to be capitalized.

We sometimes make our stories in a whim so when you don't have a guide or reference in front of you, you can remember this one general rule given by The U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual: "Capitalize all words in titles of publications and documents, except a, an, the, at, by, for, in, of, on, to, up, and, as, but, it, or, and nor."

Why are a, an and the not capitalized?
They're articles so they shouldn't be capitalized.

In case you haven't noticed, most words that aren't capitalized are short and under five letters unless they are the first of last word of the title.

Moving on!

What to capitalize in titles are: nouns (bag, photo, bus), adjectives (pretty, tall, short), adverbs (slowly, quietly, abruptly), verbs (talk, walk, eat), pronouns (he, she, it) and subordinating conjunctions (if, as, after).

Someone once said, "A verb is a word that does verb-y things."

Here are some examples:
1. I accidentally schplopped my cat.
2. Mia frewults as often as she can.

Even if the words make no sense, you can still see that it's a verb. They end in -ed and -s and also follow the subject of the sentence. They somehow convey action therefore we can say that they behave like verbs.

Action verbs are words that show dynamics - things you can do or things that "Simon" tells you to do when you're playing "Simon Says." Meanwhile, stative verbs are subtler and are difficult to identify as verbs. An example of them are: be and have. On the other hand, there are words such as linking verbs that links a subject to its complement. Some examples of linking verbs are: is, am, was, were, being and been.

Subordinating conjunctions are words that establishes relationship between a dependent clause and the rest of the sentence.

Example sentence: Unless we act now, our hard-work will be for nothing.

Here are the common subordinating conjunctions we use:
after
although
as
as if
as long as
as though
because
before
even if
even though
if
if only
in order that
now that
once
rather than
since
so that
than
that
though
till
unless
until
when
whenever
where
whereas
wherever
while
Next up are pronouns. I think you guys know what these are. They're usually at the start of the sentence and are considered as subjects of the sentence.

Image

[img]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQv0i2FZhiofbD0rbQ19uobBX1rqaAbpr2uvdkeydy-LYSwd0LlVA[/img]

All of those words are capitalized in titles.

FINALLY, IT'S DONE!
Image
Kudos to you if you reached the end of this long arse blog.

So that's the end of our lesson. I hope you guys learned from this 'cause I spent 20 minutes doing this and I haven't showered hence, I stink.

I'm gonna give myself a pat for doing this.
On the other hand, look at this babe.

Image

Image
Image
Image
August 12th, 2013 at 08:40am