One in the Same

You are not special. I am not special. Not one single human being is special. The only purpose we have is to propagate our species, and find new worlds on which to continue propagating the species. We are so insignificantly tiny, that it's unimaginable, almost. Our galaxy alone, being 100,000 light years across, compared to the rest of the universe, would be like a virus in the solar system. That's just our galaxy. We are so so so much smaller than that, that the whole Solar System, as a part of the universe, is so inconceivably tiny, it's practically negligible. If an asteroid came along right now, and blew us all to shit, or if a gamma ray burst flew by and vaporized the whole damn Solar System, the universe wouldn't bat an eyelash. And that is something to find contentment in. Because, as the great Carl Sagan once said, "We are the universe attempting to understand itself." And he was damn right. We - all of our building blocks, atoms, molecules, chemicals, emotions, physical beings - are all part of the same system that erupted into existence 13,700,000,000 years ago. We tend to think, due to our sense of self, that we are somehow outside of the universe looking in, just trying to understand it. But we ARE the universe, or more or less part of it. Our goal is to propagate the species. And although that is true, it is merely an umbrella term. Within it, is the goal to understand ourselves, our rocky spherical home, and all that which surrounds us with beautiful, awe inspired wonder. Many people spend their whole lives trying to figure out who they are, and then there is the idea of figuring out what the universe is all about. But those goals are practically one in the same. Because we are the universe.
August 16th, 2013 at 05:22pm