The REAL story behind where I got my username/signature from.

Okay, normally I wouldn't write a blog about something as tiny as this, but in a lot of the threads I post in (ie; "Where'd you get that username?" Game in the General/Chat forum), everyone that sees my username always says/thinks of the exact same damn thing. And I'm writing this to hopefully clear it up so people won't constantly associate it and/or me with something it shouldn't be.

My username, "sirius amory.", comes from the name of a character in a comic book/novella series, "The Amory Wars", written by Claudio Sanchez, vocalist/guitarist of the progressive/alternative metal band Coheed and Cambria. Sirius Amory, the character whom the series is named after, is an astronomer and scientist also known as "The Afterman", and was (in the series) credited for discovering the stars of Sirius, as well as being the first true discoverer of The Keywork, which is the beam of light connecting all seventy-eight planets in the realm of Heaven's Fence, the universe which the series takes place. He was also the first human to ever enter it.
Now, there's quite a backstory behind Sirius and the whole journey into The Keywork, and when you really get into it, it's actually quite fascinating. You'd really have to read into everything- the entire series, actually- not just the arcs that have to do with Sirius and everything he comes into contact with, in order to fully understand the beauty of this whole story that the band has decided to put into a series of compilation albums of a sort, all of which (in no particular order, having been released as separate parts of the story completely) come together to form this magnificent other world that, once you start becoming interested in it, you can't help but want to be sucked in and learn more. It really is a remarkable ideology.

So, that's basically a summed-up version of where my username comes from.

Now as for my signature, if you're already a fan of Coheed and Cambria, you know that throughout some of the songs in the order of both "Afterman" albums (Ascension and Descension, respectively), Sirius is not alone, but in the presence of a being referred to as The All-Mother, who has been assigned with the task of protecting Sirius while he takes on his journey inside The Keywork.
The particular words/phrases that are incorporated come from the very end of their song "Dark Side of Me", which is featured on the second of the "Afterman" albums, "Descension". At the end of the song, when all the instruments have faded out, the voice of the All-Mother starts speaking to Sirius (this is what the gradient text in my signature refers to), to which after she is finished, he gives her a simple response (this is the simple black in my signature).

So, that's the whole story. If you need to, or want to know more, just look up the stories of Coheed and Cambria, or search "The Amory Wars", and/or "The Afterman". You should find something. :)
August 17th, 2013 at 06:16am