define racist...

Okay, so today i had a HUGE argument with my mate about what's racist and what's not.
I said to her "what's the name of the new black teacher in school?" and she acused me of being a racist. hmm. Excuse me if i'm being slow, but how exactly is that being racist?! That is basically the same as saying something like "what's the name of the new teacher who has blond hair?". I wasn't using the term 'black' as an insult, i was merely using it to identify which teacher i meant!

My idea of a racist insult:
'get away from me you black bitch!'

It really annoys me that everyone has to be so careful when they are saying that someone is black. White people don't get offended or upset if someone calls them 'white'! I think it's incredibly unfair that people can call me 'white' without being a racist, but i can't say that anyone is 'black' without suddenly being portrayed as a 'small minded racist'!
No-one gets upset if they are referred to as 'australian' or 'english' or 'blond', so why is using skin colour as a way of differnciating between people so terrible?!
Everyone IS different and everyone LOOKS different. There is nothing wrong with using skin colour as a way of identifying people, and telling them apart from eachother.

Fee free to agree OR disagree with me.

Isabelle x :-)
September 7th, 2007 at 04:46am