live your life & be happy

Image

Everyone has probably heard this before, but I think it's very important.


As obvious as it may be, we only have on life to live. If you want to live a million lives, then read a lot of good books — but if you want to live your own life to the best of it's potential, I think it's important to sit down and really think about what you want to do with it. Lock yourself in your room. Grab a notebook and a pen or a pencil or whatever it is that you like to write with. Disregard anything anyone has ever told you that you can or cannot do, and just write a list of what it is that you really want to do, or experience, or achieve. Don't show it to anybody. Don't ask for anybody's opinion, because they should have no say about what you do in your life.

I felt inspired to write about this after babysitting my niece for a week. She's six years old, and has a serious case of word vomit — she'll say whatever, whenever, but the best part about it is that she always means what she says, because she doesn't realize that what she says could make people sad or upset or happy or angry. She heard me singing in my bedroom, and after about twenty minutes, she came bursting in through my door and hugged me and told me I have a such a beautiful voice — and that made me stop and think, which may seem silly. To me, however, it wasn't silly and it finally gave me enough confidence to believe in myself and go for something that I've wanted ever since I was five years old, and all it took was the support from a six year old while everyone else in my life has always shot my dream down.

As big of a dream as it is, I genuinely believe that if I work really hard and persevere and stick with it, that I can accomplish anything that I set my mind to — and I believe that this is the case for everyone, no matter the situation.

There are two quotes I think everybody should know:

"Have big dreams, you will grow into them."
— (I forgot where this is from)

and

"Everything you want is coming. Relax, and let the universe pick up the timing and the way. You just need to trust that what you want is coming, and watch how fast it comes."
— Abraham Hicks


So, if you want to travel, then travel. If you want to go to Amsterdam and experience the Red Light District, do it. If you want to read books and drink tea and live in a cozy apartment on the outskirts of New York City by yourself or with a friend or your boyfriend or your girlfriend or your dog and write poems and paint pictures and keep to yourself, then do it — do all of it, because at the end of everything, you're going to look back on your life and ask yourself if you lived the life you had always wanted to live.

And when that time comes, I hope you can say you did.

August 24th, 2013 at 07:18am