"17 year olds don't understand being heartbroken"

Thanks to all the people who messaged me on my last blog asking if I was okay. It meant a lot and I'd just like you all to know that's it's all sorted now and I'm happy :)

Moving on. So I was scrolling through Facebook and I came across this picture of a status. The picture was a screenshot of a status made by a guy who had put "Just got dumped, am heartbroken :(" Then these two other guys were commenting saying stuff along the lines of:

Guy One: Get over it bro
Guy Two: You don't even know what heartache is, you're too young to know what it means.
Guy One: Yeah lol you're only 17 years old.

Keep in mind it's not exactly word for word, and they do carry on harassing him for a bit longer.

So, at first I thought oh, the dude that made the status must be like 12-13 years old, and I'd get that if he was but he's 17 years old and I was like... what the fuck?!

Then I scrolled down and started reading comments people had left on Facebook about the post they'd seen. I was shocked to see that a few people had agreed with the two guys saying stuff like:

"What do 17 year olds know about relationships and love? Nothing that's what, they're too young and immature, they can't handle serious relationships"

I guess it didn't help that the people being judgmental were literally 30+. Someone even said that it was impossible for our age group to date someone for more than a month.

So of course I had to say something. My reply went something along the lines of

"Don't treat us like we're 12 years old. You may think we're immature but we're quite capable of being in a serious relationship. Who are you people to judge what we can and cannot feel? When we like someone and that feeling isn't returned and we're rejected we feel heartache. There's no age to feeling that pain. It doesn't need to be justified. I've been with my boyfriend for nearly three years. Is that serious enough for you?"

And that's my honest opinion on the matter.

So what's your thoughts on this topic?
August 27th, 2013 at 04:38am