Lift Up My Soul

The mind is a fragile thing. It really is. The things we see, the life we live, the memories make – it all shapes us, makes us who we are. These experiences – they can heal, soothe. More often than not, they scar and scratch. They leave grooves and scrapes on your soul. Sometimes, they leave canyons miles deep, right in the centre of your very being. And it hurts, too. You can feel the wound, aching and throbbing with every movement you make. Every breath, every step, and every flinch – it all hurts. You can feel the edges of the gaping hole, torn and frayed, as you inhale. It’s an abyss, a never-ending pit of pain, and all you can think about is – when will this stop? When will this pain subside? For a long time, it doesn’t. But then you feel something. At first, you brush it off. You shrug, deem it a false alarm and forget about it. But then it comes again, and with it, it brings closure and justice. Slowly, you start to feel those torn edges smooth out. You feel your entire being shift as that canyon begins to close. You’re healing. You can feel the wound being stitched closed – the tug and pull of the threads it weaves through your soul, through you. And you feel it all come together again. You’re alive again. The funny thing is, you did it by yourself. You picked up the pieces, you put yourself back together, and you threaded the needle to sew yourself shut. And to think – you didn’t have any faith in yourself.
August 27th, 2013 at 10:10pm