Mibba as a "Creative Writing" Site

I just read Semolina's blog and was going to respond there, but it was too long =P

I think that Mibba is becoming overly restrictive towards what we can and cannot say, much like a government that is not governed by the people. If we can express opinions through poetry and stories that might be offensive to others, how is it we cannot make blogs that express anger, vehemence, hatred. Sure, these things are ugly, but they are part of literature, which is what this site is supposed to be about. Even if something is said that is offensive, surely we should try to be objective and helpful in regards to someone else's creative writings.

It's not creative to be unable to heatedly challenge others without that constant fear of being banned. I am not sure where I read this, but someone said that if you don't want someone saying something to you, don't say it because it might be something that could get you banned. However, why should we want to only read things that make us feel "good"? Shouldn't we want to get worked up at what others say, so long as that person is not constantly victimizing everything they disagree with? I want to hear you- really know what you're thinking- not just see some filtered version of your true self. Even if it is not proper and polite.

I believe that if we can shake hands by the end of a heated argument, everything that was said was for our own good. It enhanced my ability to retort back, and hey, maybe I could use some of the things said in my writings. After all, hardly any novel that touches a large variety of audiences is solely based off of happiness. There is almost always tension that gets resolved. Some things are not pretty, and by limiting the ugly on this site, I feel it ruins part of the creativity.

It is important to press that I don't think people should go around saying things suck and whatnot, but as long as we are respecting each other on a PERSONAL basis, things said about something like a genre of music or books should be 'passionately' expressed in all of its gory glory.

Also, there should always be a few limitations. People shouldn't be cursing at each other or telling one another to go die, but they should be able to CHALLENGE others without fear of being banned, so long as the user who wrote a blog or something hasn't asked that others refrain from expressing their opinions.

All in all, I would love it if Mibba were more risky to those who welcome a good challenge. Perhaps, we need to be more open-minded. I know I certainly do. It's easy to get mad at users who threaten to tear apart our blogs or threaten to attack something that we personally represent or believe in, but it's not easy to put aside our differences in order to help each other as the expressive, creative writers we are striving to become. Let us aim to take the "road less travelled" and set our feet onto a pathway that has now become foreign.
August 28th, 2013 at 04:44am