Dear America

The news says that you're considering an intervention soon. An intervention on the Syrian war. Now apart from the sociological value and obvious human loss involved in wars (empathy and all that), I generally have very little to no interest in the affairs of the international world unless they directly affect my country. Or me. Whichever comes first.

But I've heard that you're considering this intervention because chemical weapons have been used. Normally, I'd applaud you. It's been so long since you've declared an intervention on other countries for WMD's, etc etc that I was beginning to worry that you'd lost your shine. However, for this one; I'm going to have to form an opinion on. Yes, look at that. An actual opinion.

See my sister's husband is serving in Syria currently. This makes him my brother-in-law, father to my sister's kids and therefore holds some social importance to me. He's there on the UN mission that our (somewhat slightly uneducated) Prime Minister promised the UN Fiji would provide. All political opinions aside, I like that thought that whatever happen,s the PM is first a military man, then a politician because heck, it would be nice to know that someone in power is at least a little concerned about the men serving.

I hope that you tread carefully with this America. Because the Middle East is no big fan of yours under the best of circumstances and your reaction to Syria could very possible blow open a war that I'm sure many people are just gunning for right now. I hope you tread carefully because we have men there. We, a country with a population of approximately 800,000 have about 300 of our men there; serving. We don't have much to offer, we Fijians, and we hardly have much in the world but the one thing we treasure deeply is our people. Because there's so little of us, you see.

We want our men to come home. We want them to come home safely. We want them to be reunited with their families, with their children and their wives. I want my niece and nephew to meet their Dad again, soon. I hope you tread carefully because your actions, in this case, will matter so much more than everything else because if something were actually going to happen, they could directly affect our men.

I know that you're supposed to be a superpower, America. I know that you have a heck of a lot of interests all over the world and that as a leading superpower, it is kind of a social responsibility of yours to prefect the rest of the misbehaving countries. I just hope that you make the right choice with this one, whichever it may be. And I hope that you don't start something that you most probably will not be able to finish (I may or may not be referencing the previous invasion you've led on other Middle Eastern countries).

Sincerely

Me
September 3rd, 2013 at 11:30pm