So Long And Goodnight. :[

My dog was put down today.

She was fifteen years old, we got her when I was only three. I don't remember much when we got her, but I remember when my dad brought her home. She was this tiny six week old Blue Heeler, and my older sister wanted to call her "Anne" but my Mum said that was a weird name to call a dog, so instead she was named "Annie" after the movie.

Annie was unlike most dogs. She was a pure breed Blue Heeler, but there had been a Dalmation involved a few generations before her litter and she was much whiter than normal Heelers. She had the best temperment, she only tried to bite one. When I was three or four and I tried to pat her while she was eating, but that was the only time. Annie had such a good temperment, she'd never get mad at you. We use to sit on her! She loved children too, she was there to watch three girls grow up.

I feel terrible for neglecting her as I got older, and not saying goodbye when we left Melbourne and mum and dad took her to stay with my Aunt. I thought she was going to come to Perth too, but we ended up leaving her with my Aunt and her lonely dog, because Annie was so old, it was unfair to make her travel again. I regret it so much, because it was the last time I saw my beloved dog.

When they put her down, she had been suffering from Arthritis the past few years..but she had a cancerous tumor in her stomach, almost into her spleen and it was much more humane to put her down instead of letting her die a painful death, she at least deserved that much. My older sister and 2 Aunts and Uncle were there when she got put down. My sister told my mum that Annie looked at her with those big sad brown eyes, like she knew something was going to happen. She is going to be buried in my Aunt's backyard, because unfortunately..my dad being in the Australian navy we move around a lot. At least there she'll be with family.

I never really thought I'd care so much about an animal..or feel so sad now she's gone. I already miss her so much, I pratically grew up with her.

No dog could ever replace her, everyone loved Annie. She was the most wonderful dog I knew.

R.I.P Anns.
September 7th, 2007 at 09:48pm