Teachers vs. students and respect

So, today a video went viral here in the city I live in. The video is about a teacher from a public high school starting a class about "ethics and values" and makes a student, a girl, stand up to read something about respect. In the middle of the student reading, the teacher interrupts her and asks her whether she has respects for her elders.

Apparently, the girl published a tweet about how she hated the class and the teacher. Nobody knows how the professor came through with the girl's tweet, but she decided to bring it to class to "give a lesson" on "ethics and values".

There's a freaking full-blown argument going on right now because some commend the teacher's way of using the girl's tweet as a lesson plan for her students to show respect for teachers. On the other side there's the argument that she was outside of the professional scope and violating a code of ethics that teachers should have when it comes to the privacy of their students.

I think the teacher was unprofessional and wrong in the way she managed the situation; she publicly ridiculed a student in front of her whole classmates for the student not liking her and her class. She went as far as asking some students to record the whole "lesson" to further the whole "respect" bullshit that she's trying to sell to the class, when she doesn't even show respect for her student.

In all honestly, who of us has never disliked a professor? I have full on stated that I hated a teacher who used to simply torture us, and I mean torture as in "I will explain this topic once and if you don't get it then that's your problem, but hey, I give tutoring for the finals; I charge 30 dollars per hour"; on high school we had nicknames for each and every one of them and at middle school we made fun of shit teachers said.

I really feel like this was an invasion on the student's privacy; the tweet has only the first name of the teacher mentioned, no vital personal information that could put in jeopardy the teacher's reputation. I guess the only real lesson I could get form this is to be careful what we post on social media outlets.
September 8th, 2013 at 07:13am