It can wait.

A couple of days ago, on Facebook, I saw a bunch of people posting things about this girl I graduated from high school with. They were saying things about how she'd get better soon or how they hoped she made a speedy recovery, but I couldn't find out what happened anywhere, and none of my friends seemed to know either. Yesterday, there were more statuses about her. She passed away. And I found out what happened. She was in a car accident four days ago. Some jerk was texting and driving and sideswiped her, sending her car into oncoming traffic. She was probably doing nothing wrong. In fact, considering where she was coming from, she was just driving home from work that night.

I just want to take a moment to talk about texting and driving. I don't understand it at all. Nothing is that important that you can't wait until you get home or to where ever it is that you're going before you respond. If it is that important, pull off to the side of the road, or even into a shopping center, and text whoever you have to text there. Don't just assume that you can take your eyes off of the road for five seconds to respond to a message, because it can cost someone their life. This just angers me so much. I wasn't exactly close to this girl or anything, we weren't even friends, but I have friends who were friends with her, and they're extremely gutted about this. So many lives have just been changed just because one person was selfish and couldn't wait to send a freaking text message.

Please, take a few seconds and take the pledge, because it can wait. It really can.

Rest easy, Carly. We might not have been close, but you really did brighten up so many lives. I'm sure that you're no longer in pain wherever it is that you are now.
September 14th, 2013 at 03:02am