Interview: Indigo Umbrella

I know that this one is a day late. I apologize for that. I had to go to a town two hours away with my mom to help her get some trees to plant here at the 'farm'. I had hoped that it wouldn't have taken as long as it did, but I couldn't help that. We got a bit lost on the way back.

You know the drill. I don't accept suggestions on these blogs. If you want to suggest an author for me to interview, do it here. I will always put the link in these blogs.

I got the chance to interview Indigo Umbrella. Instead of me going on and on about a story or two that I like, I'm just going to give you a link to where you can find all her stories. She is a wonderful author, and I hope that you enjoy all of her stories.

So here are the questions and answers:

1. What's the meaning behind your username?
-1. My username comes from a short story I wrote once about a girl with a red umbrella during a rainstorm. I made it my username shortly after joining Mibba and then went through the rainbow (ex. Orange Umbrella, Yellow Umbrella). I eventually settled on Indigo because it sounded cool. I also used it as an alias for one of my characters.

2. How long have you been on Mibba?
-I joined Mibba just after my son was born. So about four years now.

3. When did you start writing? Why?
-I’ve always been a storyteller. I was the kid who told lies in the playground about the school being haunted and my bunny speaking to me. But I didn’t start writing actual stories until I was about 18 when I got really into Lord of the Rings role playing.

4. What are some of your stories and what are they about?
-Most of my stories are Avenged Sevenfold or My Chemical Romance fan fictions. I also have quite a lot of Original Fictions. I really like writing about ordinary people overcoming obstacles. I could list some of them but that would take all day. I have so many.

5. What's your inspiration for writing?
-My inspiration comes from a bunch of different places. Usually dreams or songs I’ve heard. I don’t think there’s ever a time in my day when I’m not trying to think up new ideas.

6. Do you like writing original fiction more? Or do you like to write fan fiction?
-Recently I’ve sort of moved away from fan fictions. I love writing original fictions because I feel less restricted and I can control every aspect of the character’s lives and universes.

7. What's your favorite fandom to write about? (Is fandom the correct term I'm looking for?)
-My favorite fandom to write about is probably the My Chemical Romance fandom. I’ve grown away from fan fictions but the first full length story I ever wrote was an MCR fic and their music and art gave me an endless supply of inspiration. Plus I’ve met a lot of really great people through those stories.

8. Do you have any rituals when you write? If you listen to music, what do you listen to?
-I don’t have a ritual at all. I’m a mom so I get interrupted very frequently. I have to be able to break every few paragraphs to make sandwiches and enforce rules. It makes writing difficult but it’s very rewarding when I can finish a story knowing I was up and down all through the creation of it. And I usually write with Disney movies playing in the background.

9. What is your favorite genre to write about?
-I love exploring new genres. I don’t think I’ve ever found one that I favor above the others. Most of my stories are of modern people. But I have a lot of fun trying out new genres.

10. What's your favorite story to read on here?
-I never used to read very much on here. I’ve always had more fun writing. But lately I’ve been really into Hell Bound by Clara. and Silence of the Sirens by silk tea.

11. Which of your stories are the most fun to write?
-I think I had the most fun with my Lunacy Fringe series. It started as a vague idea with no real plot and turned into a 400+ page novel with multiple sequels and side stories. It was my first original fiction and the positive response gave me the courage I needed to continue writing original fictions.

12. Which of your stories are the hardest to write?
-The most difficult story I had to write was probably Battery City Rebels: Part Two. I have a really difficult time with science fiction in general and I can't write an obstacle without a solution. So it was really hard for me to come up with an ending.

13. Do you ever run into writer's block? What do you do to get over it?
-My greatest enemy is actually procrastination. I usually just try to force myself to write even if it's terrible and then decide later if I want to continue or scrap.

14. Is there any authors on here that inspire you to write?
-I’m going to have to say Clara. again. She’s constantly coming up with new ideas and she’s never afraid to share them with others. Her plots are always unique and original and I admire that about her.

15. Do you research what you write?
-I’m the world’s laziest researcher. I will pretty much do anything to get out of researching something. But if I absolutely have to do it, I’ll do as little as I can get away with. But I did do a lot of research for The Lunacy Fringe since it takes place in the 70's and I wasn't alive then. I had a lot of fun asking my dad for information on popular bands and products that were unique to that decade.

16. Do you like to experiment with your writing?
-I love experimenting. I usually have a common romantic theme through my stories, but I love trying out new genres and coming up with new obstacles for my characters to overcome.

17. Are there any authors that inspire you? (novels, books, etc.)
-As cliché as these answers will probably be, I’m going to say JK Rowling and John Green. Rowling is a genius and I worship the ground she walks on. I can only ever hope to be as amazing as she is someday. John Green writes stories about ordinary people doing extraordinary things within themselves, and I think that’s more my speed and writing style. He gives me hope as a writer.

18. Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers?
-I just want to say thanks to all my readers! I owe you all so much and I wish I could somehow show you my gratitude. You’ve given me so much hope as a writer and have helped me overcome a lot of personal issues. So I am forever grateful and I love you guys. ^.^

***

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all the questions. I'm sorry about it being a day late. I had hoped that I would have been able to update.
September 21st, 2013 at 06:07pm