"Friends" who try to be uninvited relationship counselors

For obvious reasons, this blog is not directed at or about anyone on Mibba. Mainly because I haven't spoken to any Mibbians for quite a while... But anyway.

I've often somehow become the friend people go to with their problems- especially relationship problems, for some reason. I'm not complaining by any means, don't get me wrong. I love helping people, and it's genuinely intriguing to me how people work under different situations like this. For a long time I've though about becoming a counselor of some sort, but hey, that's neither here nor there.

My point is, people often come to me with there problems it seems, and I try to give my best advice from the story I'm told. I do my best to make my advice honest and impartial. I don't sugarcoat shit and I certainly don't side with one half of the relationship over the other. I make it clear that it is my opinion and by no means is it infallible or "right" and that in the end, it comes down to them, and I'm not going to babysit their relationship like they're children.

So what fucking ticks me off more than anything is "friends" butting into my fucking relationship unwarranted for no other reason other than to scold me for everything I do.

At what point did I said "Please nitpick everything I do or say and try to make look like an ass, then when I tell you to stop, please act like I'm the bitch because i don't appreciate you sticking your nose where it doesn't belong"? I certainly don't remember saying anything like that.

Like if I decide to tease my boyfriend about taking my food, I don't really need a lecture about how he has bought me McDonald's or fed me his food. If he doesn't appreciate my teasing, he has a mouth of his own and can tell me himself. It is Justin's and my relationship, and not once did she ever become a part of it. He has his own mouth and is perfectly capable of defending himself without any help, but you know, he didn't because he knew I was joking.

Contrary to popular belief, I did not bring my mother with me when I came to university and I don't appreciate being treated like a naughty child anytime I do anything. I say anything, I hear a sassy retort from her. If I hug my boyfriend or kiss him (in public or private with her in the room), if we make eye contact afterwards, she gives me that disapproving look (you know the one, where they squint, raise a brow and look you up and down like you're filthy).

We were fine before Justin and I got together. I mean, it got under my ski when she would mom me but she wasn't nearly as bad before Justin. Now everything I do, I get chewed out for. I don't even tell her about anything personal (especially related to my boyfriend) anymore because I'm so sick of her judgement.

I mean this is the same "friend" who in less than 36 hours after it happened had my entire dorm aware that I was sleeping with Justin before we were dating. And don't get me wrong, I could give a shit who knows but airing my laundry out in front of everyone without my permission is insensitive and rude. But that's another reason I don't tell her shit anymore.

Sometimes I wonder if she's jealous of me, but then why would she be trying to make me feel so guilty about everything related to Justin? She tried to tell me I "changed" since I started sleeping with Justin, but to me it's her who has changed. I feel more relaxed and happy than ever (when I'm ignoring her scolding), but she's always so irritable and sassy now. Sometimes she's downright mean, acting like I'm stupid or a child if I'm the least bit happy.

I just don't understand her. And yes, her moodiness pisses me off, but mostly, I'm just so sick and tired of her thinking just because she knows about Justin's and my relationship that she's allowed or invited to shoulder her way into our relationship and any problems we have. If I had asked her opinion at one point, that would be one thing but not once did I ever ask her for any help in my relationship. I told her about the first time we fucked because I thought I could trust her back then (I've since learned better) and I told her when Justin first asked me to be his girlfriend. That's it.

And don't get me wrong, when it comes to nosiness, I'm not the best. But I don't use my nosiness against people. If I know something about someone, something private, I don't tell every one I see. And I don't try to force my opinions where they aren't asked for, at least about private things like relationships. On places like Mibba and Tumblr or in public discussions, that's different.

So here's some advice: don't be like this. Don't think just because you are friends with two people who are dating that you get to dictate the direction of that relationship. It's not your relationship, and and unless it is specifically asked for, your opinion on the relationship doesn't mean jack. You wouldn't want someone forcing him or herself into your private business with your significant other so don't do it to other people, unless they very specifically ask for your input. Unless the couple poses a danger to each other in some way, keep your nose out of other people's private lives.

Feel free to share your opinions and experiences on the subject but this was basically me just venting because I'm just so sick of this but I don't really want to complain out loud to anyone because all of our friends are mutual and I don't want to put this shit on the, and bring them into the middle of this. Last night I complained to one of our friends a little about it and I felt really bad about it. Anyway, have you had a friend like this or have you been this friend? What do you think about people like this?
October 3rd, 2013 at 05:31pm