Interview: LettersToNormandy

I'm sure that you know by now that I don't accept suggestions here. If there is an author that you want me to interview, please do so here. Thank you for understanding. Of course, there is a list of authors that have already been interviewed, and the list can be found here.

This time around, I got the chance to interview the lovely LettersToNormandy. She is a very talented writer of many stories which are listed below with links. All of them are wonderful. One of my favorites written by her is The Perks of Dying. It's an one-shot, but don't let that stir you away from the story. It's actually a wonderful story. I think about the best way to describe it as beautiful. I suggest that you go read it.

Okay, I'll move onto the actual interview. Here it is! Enjoy!

1. What's the meaning behind your username?
-I went on vacation when I was seventeen with my best friend to France. We visited the coast of Normandy and I was pretty much in love with it. Honestly at first I had a story idea for a girl named Normandy who found a bunch of letters from her grandmother to her grandfather who was stationed there during WWII, but nothing ever really came of it so I ended up using it as my username instead.

2. How long have you been on Mibba?
-Roughly five years, I believe? I started writing online when I was eighteen, so probably five years or a little under.

3. Have you ever used any other website(s)?
-I started of on Quizilla (bless it's soul) and I've got accounts on Figment, and Fiction Press as well. Of course, Mibba is definitely my favorite; it's much friendlier and I actually get feedback on here.

4. When did you start writing? Why?
-Probably when I was sixteen or so? But I wouldn't let anyone read it until I was eighteen; I was shy about it. I spent a lot of time daydreaming as a kid, and I had all these ideas for stories that I really liked and I spent way too much time reading. Plus if I didn't get the ideas of out of my head it was kind of all I could think about; so it was a good release I guess.

5. What are some of your stories and what are they about?
-The Perks of Dying Is my most recent one-shot. It revolves around two friends and a shift in their relationship and what it could mean emotionally for their prospective future.

Revenant Is a short story about a girl getting revenge on her killer from beyond the grave--mostly through psychological torment.

Winter Wakes though, is my baby. It was the first chaptered story I've ever written. It's about Maggie Walton; a girl whose father owns a funeral home. She has an encounter with one of their deceased clients--a boy named Simon who lassoes her into a scholarship at the college his mother owns in order to find out just what happened to him. It's also a bit of a love story. It's undergoing a rewrite right now, and the sequel Summer Shadows is currently in the works.

6. What's your inspiration for writing?
-People I meet; dreams I have; things people say; songs; really anything.

7. Do you like writing original fiction more? Or do you like to write fan fiction?
-Definitely original fiction. I feel like I can take more liberties with my characters that way. Also fan fiction and the characters it involves seems as though I've got to be very concise with their characterization to avoid... ticking someone off. Also It just seems as though you can take more creative liberties with OF than FF.

8. What's your favorite fandom to write about?
-I've only got one fan fiction on here, so I guess I'd have to go with what that's based on which would be Doctor Who. It's fun because you're writing about a madman with a box that can travel anywhere in time and space; meet anyone; and even encounter creatures you yourself have created. I guess that's what makes it so... wonderful. There just seem to be no limits to who you can have your character or the Doctor encounter. Like my fiction Star Boy has the Doctor and the MC meeting F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda.

9. Do you have any rituals when you write? If you listen to music, what do you listen to?
-Like a lot of people I write better if I have music playing. That's really about the only 'ritual' I have. I've been big on Civil Twlight and Doves. A good bit of The Hush Sound as well goes into my writing; especially anything pertaining to Winter Wakes or Summer Shadows. Lots of Alt. Rock with a dash of Rihanna and a dose of Taylor Swift.

10. When starting a story, what do you do? Do you use an outline? Or do you just kind of write as you go?
-I'm not going to lie; I'm the Queen of winging it. I hardly ever use outlines--although at some point I think I should probably start trying. Generally I get an idea and just start writing. It can cause problems--like months or so without updates because I'm trying to figure out where to go or how to get from point A to point B.

11. What is your favorite genre to write about?
-Paranormal or fantasy. I've got lots of ideas for both. I like ghosts on the one hand; and on the other I like creating my own words and races and such. It's just so much fun.

12. What's your least favorite genre to write about?
-Historical/War ficiton. I am no good nor am I interested in such a subject.

13. What's your favorite story to read on here?
-That is such a tough call it isn't even funny.

Dream Play by silk tea. is one of my absolute favorites--if not my favorite. And I don't really care that much for fan fiction. But I was crying by the end it was so wonderful.

Quiet Little Monsters by Maesaysdance is right up there as well. It's just so freaking good.

14. Which of your stories are the most fun to write?
-Teal. has to be one of my favorites to write at the moment. It's just about a girl and a boy and she's just... fun, I guess. Because I haven't had a character like her before. Whispers and Wishes is also a blast to write simply because I get to play with magics in the story and who can resist creating a charming, intriguing magical being whose existence is pretty much to grant your every wish?

15. Which of your stories are the hardest to write?
-Summer Shadows is the most difficult to write probably because I have the most invested in it emotionally and I just really don't want to screw it up. I love it so much that I spend far too long writing each of the chapters because I don't want to corrupt it I guess. Also it's the only one that I actually have a plot outline and I keep wanting to change it. So it's a bit frustrating.

16. Do you ever run into writer's block? What do you do to get over it?
-Is there someone who doesn't hit writer's block because I'd like to know their secret if so. Honestly I just let it pass; I don't really have a good way to get over it, but hey, any tips would be more than welcome!

17. Is there any authors on here that inspire you to write?
-The fabulous silk tea., the magnificent Alexander Bernadotte, and my dearest Timeless are all such brilliant writers that they make me want to be better. I love anything and everything they touch. So inspiration wise they are certainly my go-tos.

18. Do you research what you write?
-Sometimes, yes. I need to get in a better habit of it to be honest. To be quite frank though I did a good bit of research for Winter Wakes on what type of drugs could be used to kill someone through consumption with alcohol. I'm still proud of the explanation the character Felicia offers for what happened.

19. Do you like to experiment with your writing?
-I do! that's why Teal. is so much fun for me because it's not only in a different point of view than I'm accustomed to writing in but it also spends most of the time focused on the male character as opposed to the female.

20. Are there any authors that inspire you? (novels, books, etc.)
-Ray Bradbury has always been a heavy source of inspiration for me. He will always remain my favorite author; and I sincerely mourned his passing last year. My grandfather got me hooked on him as a child, and I swear every word he wrote was like magic to me. The Martian Chronicles and Something Wicked This Way Comes are beautiful novels that mean the world to me.

Neil Gaiman is my other inspiration. I would love nothing more than to spend a day poking and prodding his brain because he's brilliant and mad and his writing makes me feel things. The Ocean at the End of the Lane made me cry and still just the thought of it makes me sad. When authors like these two can make you fall in love with characters it makes you want to be better, to be able to give someone else the kind of emotions they've given you.

21. What would be your advice to a new author?
-I don't care what you write; just do it. If it makes you happy you can write My Little Pony fanfiction for all I care. Just write. It's the only way to get better. Also, if someone gives you constructive criticism, take it as just that. The intent isn't to hurt you; they want to help. More than anything, just enjoy yourself. Because you are writing for you not someone else.

22. Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers?
-I love you all and your amazing level of patience for my slow, indecisive self and my utterly long spells between updating. You are wonderful and I don't think any of you will ever understand just how much I adore and appreciate your patience and support. I don't think I can ever properly express just how grateful I am for each and every one of you. You are just dolls.

***

I have to say that it was an honor getting to interview you. I can't seem to thank you enough. Anyways, merci beaucoup.
October 8th, 2013 at 06:11pm