So a natural disaster happens in South Dakota, but there's no national coverage on it?

I mean, seriously. A blizzard hit the western part of South Dakota really hard last week and it killed thousands of cattle, 75,000 as of recently. Ranchers' entire lives just gone. Crops were lost because they hadn't been picked yet because its the beginning of October for crying out loud.

The damage of this storm will cost ranchers and farmers, millions and possibly billions. This is a natural disaster that will impact everyone. Why? Who feeds the rest of America? Ranchers and farmers.

But I haven't heard anything outside the local news. I did look up on Google and there are some small articles on it, but that's it. A lot of the Midwest supplies food for the rest of the country, they get wiped out, and...what? Nothing.

The pictures that I have seen are absolutely horrifying. I can't believe that this happened only in October. It makes me fear for when winter actually gets here.

The pictures I'm showing may not be for everyone, but it needs to get the point across.

Image

Image

Image

As a rancher myself, seeing this breaks my heart. I wouldn't be able to handle this, walking out into a pasture and seeing my whole livelihood gone.

I'm talking about this because, like I said, this was a natural disaster. These ranchers and farmers need outside help. But where's the celebrities lining up to help like they would in a hurricane? Where's the president speaking about this and sharing his concern? No where.

I cannot believe the lack of coverage this has received. Actually, I can. Because most people think their vegetables and meat just come out of the grocery store. This is heart-breaking and people need to be more aware of what has happened in the little ol' Midwest.

And the government shutdown isn't helping because ranchers and farmers can't get assistance. Its ridiculous.

This isn't something that can just be paid off and fixed. This will hold an impact for years. Not only were cows and calves lost, so were pregnant cows due next year. It takes YEARS for a rancher to build up their herd and all of it was gone in three days time.

Please, keep the ranchers and farmers in your thoughts. They're going to need it.

I hope some of you are interested because this is serious. Here's how you can help.
October 10th, 2013 at 05:12am