Remembering Cory/Glee/Close to Home.

Normally I'm not one to emotionally connect to tv shows, or things in general, but after tonight's episode of Glee, it really shook me. I hadn't realized how much I could actually miss someone I never even met.

I was only shedding a few tears and maybe sniffled a few times, but that was before Santana sang When I Die Young. That really hit close to home for me. That song was played at my friend's funeral. We weren't exactly best friends, but living in a small town of 300, you gravitated to those your age.

She died from an overdose, just like Cory Monteith, only hers was ruled a homicide because the friends she partied with locked her in a closet when she asked them to take her to the hospital.

We were sophomores, and I remember so clearly the last conversation I had with her just hours before she died, and where I was the moment I got the phone call about her death.

We talked about how if she didn't straighten her life out, she'd die. Five hours later, she died, by doing the same things that she said would kill her.

And I was in the car when my best friend, her would have been sister-in-law, called me saying that she was found by a friend a day after she died. She stayed one entire day in that closet, and nobody even cared.

So yeah, that episode hit really close to home.
October 11th, 2013 at 04:28am