I don't get the logic behind wanting to make abortion illegal.

Like, seriously.

Okay, if you don't like the idea of abortion, that's all fine and well. As long as you're educated on the subject, polite about it and not the kinda person who shames others for their choices, then I can totally respect your opinion.

However, if you're one of those people who says stuff like all abortion should be made illegal or women should go to jail for getting an abortion... Then I think you seriously need to take a step back and look at the lack of logic there.

Because first of all, making abortion illegal is not the opposite of having it legal. The opposite of making abortion illegal would be is if we made giving birth illegal. Just imagine that. Imagine a world where it doesn't matter what you want to do with your own body and your own life. Where other people make those decisions for you. And if you disagree, say you want to give birth then you get told you're disgusting, you're a monster, you deserve to go to jail, you deserve to die. Imagine a world where the only way you'd be able to give birth would be in an unsanitary environment where the chances of you getting an infection and getting sick or even dying would be incredibly high. Imagine if you did manage to do that and you were okay afterwards and you were happy with the choices you've made, but everyone told you that you shouldn't be. Imagine you were reminded every day that people who have never met you hate you just because of a choice you made. People who love you would hate you if you told them.

That's the kind of stuff you'd inflict on people if you made abortion illegal. So if you can say with good conscious that you can inflict that pain on someone and still claim to call yourself 'pro-life'... I just don't understand it.

If you don't like abortions, don't get one. But don't force others into doing things they don't want to do just because of your opinion.
October 19th, 2013 at 02:18pm